Install MYTHTV to raspberry Pi 3

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
quyhung
Newcomer
United States of America

Install MYTHTV to raspberry Pi 3

Post by quyhung »

Greeting team,
I'm new user and login for the first time and NOT sure this is the right place to put my question so sorry for any inconvenience it might caused..

I'm in Silicon Valley San Jose CA and would want to install MYTHTV package in Raspberry Pi 3 to make it as "DVR" and use Kworld USB ATSC TV stick to record program from all free-of-the air TV channels.
(In San Jose we can have up to 90 free-of-the-air TV channels including all local channels 2, 4, 5,7, PBS,plus NHK, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, France 24, German as DW.com and many many more channels)

If anyone did this project please contact me (quyhung.nguyen@gmail.com) and we can discuss more detail how you can help me as I'm willing to pay as well.

Thank you in advance.

All the best

Hung Nguyen
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Install MYTHTV to raspberry Pi 3

Post by pgbennett »

You do not need to pay, MytTV is free software.

MythTV consists of two parts: frontend and backend. The frontend is for watching recordings, videos, TV, etc. and the backend makes the recordings and servers them to the frontend.

You can run frontend and backend together on one desktop or laptop computer. You can also run extra frontends on other computers or Raspberry Pi's. This way you can watch your recordings from anywhere as long as there is a network connection to the backend.

There are some people who are running the backend on a Raspberry Pi (see the other post in this forum). I have not tried this, but it should work. I do not think the Raspberry Pi will have enough memory to run the frontend and backend at the same time. So you will need two raspberry pi's or else a desktop/laptop and a raspberry pi.

If you want to use a Raspberry Pi for a backend, you will need to et some extra storage. The Raspberry Pi uses a SD Card for its hard drive. High Definition TV recordings take up to 8 GB per hour. With an 8 GB storage card with half used for the operating system you will only be able to record 30 minutes before you run out of space. You can get an extra large SD Card, but it would be better to attach a USB hard drive, the bigger the better. With Raspberry Pi the network and all of the USB devices combined cannot use more than 480 mb/sec. This will limit how many recordings you can do simultaneously.

As far as the KWorld tuner is concerned, there are many different types. Some may not be supported. The LinuxTV wiki has details of what is supported (see https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hard ... nformation). The KWorld will only record one channel at a time. You can connect as many tuners as you wish/ Some tuners you can buy that are network connected. Some tuners can do several channels at once.

Please look at the MythTV wiki https://www.mythtv.org/wiki for more information.
quyhung
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by quyhung »

Greeting pgbennet,

Thank you so much for your quick reply with lot of detail info.. really appreciated to let me know that MYTHTV is free !!!

I'm afraid that I'm so busy now and NOT have much technical about Raspberry Pi as well as MYTHTV (e.g. don't have to read and investigate) but need the project to be done quick so I need some one who has experience (successfully investigated and done the installation before) to do it for us and I'm willing to pay for his/her work of installation.

By the way do you know someone to do the work?

Once again thank you so much

Best

Hung Nguyen
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I don't know anybody who will do that. The place to inquire about that is the MythTV Contractors forum (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... ontractors)
Kwisher
Junior
United States of America

Post by Kwisher »

I tried a Pi ver.B as a frontend only. It mostly worked except LiveTV was horrible due to the mpeg format. Recordings played fine. I gave up on it due to the Pi being so under powered and the GUI interface being sluggish. I've heard of people having success using Kodi as a frontend for MythTV. I really doubt the Pi could do double duty as a backend also.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Kwisher wrote:I tried a Pi ver.B as a frontend only. It mostly worked except LiveTV was horrible due to the mpeg format. Recordings played fine. I gave up on it due to the Pi being so under powered and the GUI interface being sluggish. I've heard of people having success using Kodi as a frontend for MythTV. I really doubt the Pi could do double duty as a backend also.
Watching LiveTV should not be any different from recordings. Both use MPEG-2 format. They work better if you purchase the MPEG-2 license ($2). I am using a Raspberry PI 2 for a frontend without any problems or sluggishness. Perhaps you had an older version of the frontend, or maybe it was a Raspberry Pi model 1 B.