Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit and mythtv

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
monkeypet
Junior
United States of America

Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit and mythtv

Post by monkeypet » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:36 pm

I got the Raspberry Pi OS BETA 64-bit version installed and running today on a Raspberry Pi 4. Download the image from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/. Then boot it up, it should boot all the way up to the desktop.
Next follow the compile mythtv from source instructions on the wiki, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source. You should be up and running quickly after the compilation finishes. There is a noticeable difference in the smoothness of MPEG2 playback in mythfrontend. Anyways, I wanted to give people on the fence some encouragement if they wanted to try the BETA 64-bit OS version.

Also I overclocked it to

Code: Select all

arm_freq=2000
over_voltage=6
I discussed my journey to getting smooth MPEG2 playing on the Raspberry Pi 4 on this thread, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3791

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit and mythtv

Post by jfabernathy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 am

What did you do about the dependencies? did ansible work? What build options did you use (.buildrc)?

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:01 pm

jfabernathy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:12 am
What did you do about the dependencies? did ansible work? What build options did you use (.buildrc)?
I finally got time to answer my own questions:

ansible didn't work because it requires a package that doesn't exist in Raspberry Pi OS 64bit. libcrystalhd-dev

So I installed from the list of dependencies manually.
I built the mythtv-light as documented on the wiki. my .buildrc file is:

MYTHTV_CONFIG_OPT_EXTRA="--disable-vdpau --enable-opengl --disable-vaapi --arch=aarch64"
I also had to install a package called qt5-default

I only test mythfrontend but it looks much better than the 32bit version. I used video profile OpenGL Normal with 4 CPUs.

rodr
Junior
Australia

Post by rodr » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:42 am

I was just thinking about this, so very nice to see this topic. I'm optimistic about improved performance from a 64-bit mythtv frontend, having noticed that glxgears on the arm64 beta OS has 4-5 times the frame rate as on armhf.

Was wondering if 64-bit mythtv can be built for a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland (that is, booting the standard Raspberry Pi OS with arm_64bit=1 in /boot/config.txt). The underlying need is that I also want the same Pi 4 to be able to run chromium with Widevine support, and there is no 64-bit Widevine yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:01 am

Can't help you with this one. I normally use my RPI4 as a Mythtv-backend only and use my FireTV Stick 4K as my frontend. That way I can play anything.

rodr
Junior
Australia

Post by rodr » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:24 am

Yeah I'm leaning towards a RPi4 frontend because I also need it to be a VPN client and otherwise have full control over TCP/IP. Sadly it didn't work as a backend for me due to unstable support for the WinTV DualHD.

rodr
Junior
Australia

Post by rodr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:54 am

Anyway I did build successfully. Dependencies:

sudo apt-get install git g++ make build-essential nasm automake libtool ccache pkg-config       \
  libtool-bin uuid-dev libfreetype6-dev libmp3lame-dev libxv-dev libxxf86vm-dev libxinerama-dev \
  libxrandr-dev libxml2-dev libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libexiv2-dev libasound2-dev            \
  libegl1-mesa-dev liblzo2-dev libhdhomerun-dev libsamplerate0-dev libxnvctrl-dev libzip-dev    \
  libva-dev libdrm-dev libvdpau-dev libass-dev libxvidcore-dev libx264-dev libvpx-dev           \
  libbluray-bdj libavc1394-dev libiec61883-dev libpulse-dev libfftw3-dev libssl-dev             \
  libsystemd-dev libgnutls28-dev libcec-dev libbluray-dev libx265-dev libmariadbclient-dev      \
  libmariadb-dev-compat python-future python3-future python-requests python-requests-cache      \
  python3-requests python3-requests-cache python3-mysqldb python3-lxml python3-oauth            \
  python-simplejson python3-simplejson python-future python3-future python3-oauth               \
  python3-pycurl python-requests python3-requests-cache libdbi-perl libdbd-mysql-perl           \
  libnet-upnp-perl libwww-perl libio-socket-inet6-perl libdate-manip-perl libxml-simple-perl    \
  libxml-xpath-perl libimage-size-perl libdatetime-format-iso8601-perl libsoap-lite-perl        \
  libjson-perl libvorbis-dev libflac-dev libflac++-dev libtag1-dev libcdio-dev                  \
  libcdio-paranoia-dev libminizip-dev qt5-default qtscript5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev               \
  libfftw3-3 libqt5sql5-mysql
Configuration:

./configure --disable-vdpau --enable-opengl --disable-vaapi --enable-libmp3lame --arch=aarch64
Performance is very good, much better than my 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS experience.

gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm

@rodr did you need to overclock to get good performance?

rodr
Junior
Australia

Post by rodr » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:32 am

gedakc wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm
Nope, no overclocking for me.

gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:18 pm

rodr wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:32 am
gedakc wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm
Nope, no overclocking for me.
That's helpful to know. I might give this another try with my RPi4 4GB. At the moment I'm using it as a MythTV backend running under Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit, but would prefer it to also work well as a frontend.

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:34 pm

I'm moving my Mythtv combo FE/BE that I use in the RV to Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit. I just spent a month traveling and had issues using 32 bit. If I just have the RPI 4 doing the backend and my FireTV 4K doing the Frontend it works fine, but because we didn't always have WiFi or Mobile Data, the FireTV was difficult to force Leanfront for mythfrontend to start up due to the FireTV wanting the network up. I could deal with it but my wife could not.

So I setup only the RPI4 FE and BE and that caused video breakup and RPI4 overheating and throttling. I was overclocking to get the needed performance so that was a problem.

Once I got home I put the beta of RPi OS 64 bit and built Mythtv-light from source and built the backend using Pi-utils pi-mythbackend-helper.sh that I've mentioned before.

To help with the temperature issue, I only overclocked to 1,750 Ghz and over_voltage=2. The temp stays under the throttling limit easily and the playback is very good. My test so far was recording 4 HD programs while watching one of those behind about 1 minute. Very stable picture and very watchable. I used OpenGL profile with 4 CPUs and medium quality on deinterlacing.

Tomorrow I'll move the setup back to my RV for some extensive testing before my next trip.

BTW, I use Schedules DIrect and run it late overnight when WiFi is usually available in campgrounds since most are asleep.