V31.0-54 audio problems

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

V31.0-54 audio problems

Post by jfabernathy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm

on my RPI4 FE/BE combo I'm having audio problems. It's random as to whether or not 5.1 works. I have my HDMI connector closest to the power connector plugged into my A/V receiver and the AVR plugged into the TV.

If I choose ALSA:default:card=b1 and Stereo and do the speaker test, I get Audio Device is invalid or hot useable.

If I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and Stereo and do the speaker test, it works.

If I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and 5.1 with Dolby and DTS selected, I get a spitting motor boat sound.
Then if I deselect Dolby and DTS and then set Stereo I get Audio device is invalid or not useable.

If I exit setup and play LiveTV it's correct but Stereo.

Next I assumed that maybe the speaker test was an issue, so I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and 5.1 with Dolby and DTS selected. I went to live tv and got the spittle motorboat sound. I went back to setup and selected Stereo and still got the bad sound on livetv. Next I went to setup and also deselected DTS and Dolby even though I was in stereo and it worked in Live TV.

So in summary 5.1 does not work for me. And Stereo doesn't work if DTS and Dolby are selected.

I have a PC with an Nvidia GFX card connected to another port of the same AVR/TV and do not have any 5.1 issues with it.

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: V31.0-54 audio problems

Post by jfabernathy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:24 pm

sorry forgot link to log file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QvqIno ... sp=sharing

Lots of audio mixer errors.

monkeypet
Junior
United States of America

Post by monkeypet » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm

I was able to get it working use the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Audio creating the .asoundrc file as directed. Using 5.1 passthrough via HDMI to a bose amp.

bigdarkspot
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bigdarkspot » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:56 am

I have the same motorboat issue whenever I try to enable surround passthrough (DTS or Dolby Digital). I don't get the invalid error, but i have temporarily resigned myself to watching TV in stereo instead of surround.

I've tried the .asoundrc suggestion, but it doesn't work (the ALSA:mythtv device doesn't show up in the list of options). The other weird thing is that the ALSA:IEC958 doesn't show up on the main audio setup page, but under advanced/separate digital output device, it does show up, but doesn't work.

I'm using a Pioneer receiver that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS.

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am

monkeypet wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm
I was able to get it working use the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Audio creating the .asoundrc file as directed. Using 5.1 passthrough via HDMI to a bose amp.
I tried this over the weekend and I could not get the "mythtv" audio device created by the .asoundrc file to show up in mythfrontend -> Setup -> audio.