booting race conditions with networked tuners

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

booting race conditions with networked tuners

Post by jfabernathy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:44 am

I’ve had to fix the race conditions with Ubuntu 18.04 and network tuners use with mythtv-backend v30. Changing the systemd services configuration resolved that. I have not thought about that for some time.

However, I now have what appears to be similar issues with Raspbian Buster on a Raspberry Pi 4 with mythtv-Light and mythtv-backend. There are lot’s of Raspbian race conditions related to networking at boot.

If I build a straight forward FE/BE combo using mythtv-light and adding backend, mariadb, etc. I occasionally have no HDHR tuners after a boot. I can fix this by systemctl stop/start mythtv-backend. I can also fix this with a raspi-config and set the boot/wait on the networking option. That’s the same option you need to set so your can do NFS mounts in the fstab at boot.

So at first I thought changing raspi-config was the solution, but I kept loosing the lxpanel after a boot. Couldn’t fix it unless I turned off the boot/wait on networking.

Now I’m looking at fixing this like we did on Ubuntu 18.04.

Has anyone had similar issues on Raspbian

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: booting race conditions with networked tuners

Post by jfabernathy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 am

I could fix this with a raspi-config option of setting "wait for network" in the boot options.

However that generated a problem with booting with a blank menu bar. I'm not the only one who's seen this problem, but the Raspbian folks say it's impossible.

I fixed it by building an xfce4 system on top of Raspbian buster lite. then installed mythtv-light etc.

blm-ubunet
Junior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

But if you can fix this by restarting mythbackend isn't the problem with myth-backend service?
You can add a wait on networking in the myth-backend service.

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 pm

blm-ubunet wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm
But if you can fix this by restarting mythbackend isn't the problem with myth-backend service?
You can add a wait on networking in the myth-backend service.
Well I could add all the systemd stuff that Ubuntu versions of mythtv has, but "wait for networking" option in raspi-config works for all networking applications. It just screws up my LXDE desktop. I fixed that by eliminating LXDE and replacing with XFCE4

Jim A