rpi model 3B+, mythtv-light and POE HAT fan control

dborn
Junior
Canada

rpi model 3B+, mythtv-light and POE HAT fan control

Post by dborn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 pm

I was successfully using a previous model 3B pi following the setup instructions found in the wiki so I installed the 2017-11-29 version of raspbian stretch. I then later decided to upgrade to a model 3B+ pi so I could use the POE HAT and do away with the power supply and wire since the front end runs on my kitchen counter. I also benefit from the UPS located where the rest of the networking hardware is located.

I was able to easily move my sd card from the 3B to the 3B+ (with a new MPG2 license) and everything runs just fine with the POE. So far I've resisted doing a dist-upgrade due to the warnings about that causing issues with myth frontend.

Now the reason for my post: the POE HAT comes with a heat controlled fan and I would like to increase the turn on temp since the fan is cycling all the time as early as 45°C even when the frontend is just at the main menu sitting idle. I know about the changes to be done in config.txt but it seems I need some kernel/"firmware" upgrade to make this work. How can I get this done without breaking my frontend?

If I follow the steps identified in this thread: SOLVED-Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ will that do what I need? if not, what should instead?

Thanks!
Daniel

dborn
Junior
Canada

[SOLVED] Re: rpi model 3B+, mythtv-light and POE HAT fan control

Post by dborn » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:15 pm

So, to answer my own question, in case it might be useful to others in the same situation as I was:

I decided to back up my SD card and proceed with all upgrades to see what would happen:
apt-get update
rpi-update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

I did a reboot and tried a playback after each change and I can confirm that in my case, everything still worked just fine after each step. I was even able to keep the OpenMax High Quality profile. My display is 720p so it might be less demanding on the Pi than 1080p display.

So I am now able to modify the config.txt file to adjust the poe fan to my liking without having to generate a new rpi-poe.dtbo file.

Cheers,
Daniel