MiniMyth2 ARMv7/ARMv8 editions

Moderator: warpme

warpme1
Newcomer
Poland

MiniMyth2 ARMv7/ARMv8 editions

Post by warpme1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Dears,

Recent magic Mark Kendall is doing within MythTV rendering area encourage me to extend MiniMyth2(*) project to ARMv7/ARMv8 platforms.

I prepared MiniMyth2 to run on Amlogic/Rockchip/Allwinner/Raspberry and at this moment I believe Raspberry RPI3 and Amlogic S912 variants(**) are ready to expose to wider audience to play with.

Interested ppl can find them on MiniMyth2 GitHub: https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/releases

How to deploy MiniMyth2 on Your hw:
1. make sure you have DHCP server working ok
2. download SD card image from https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/releases
3. unpack image
4. burn SD card Image to SD card (i.e. by balena etcher)
5. insert card
6. power-on
7. check mythtv audio & video configuration
8. enjoy(***)

(*)
MiniMyth2 is dedicated firmware designed to turnaround small-factor ARMv7, ARMv8, i386 and x86_64 small-factor computers into MythTV appliance offering fully functional MythTV frontend. For platforms supporting PXE boot - MiniMyth2 offers disk-less, zero-effort provisioned, network booted MythTV frontend appliance. From the software perspective, MiniMyth2 is MythTV frontend with minimal required run-time (Linux kernel, GNU libraries, video/audio/IR remote drivers) allowing to run MythTV frontend with full speed & features on recent hardware from Intel/AMD/Amlogic/Rockchip/Allwinner/Nvidia.
More info: https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/wiki

(**)
So far Mark developed perfectly working mythtv v4l2 support for stateful video decoding which is implemented in rpi3 and amlogic SoCs.
Stateless v4l2 support (used by Allwinner/Rockchip SoC) is in development.
I published images also for these platforms - but they works OK (for now) only with software decode.
(if you want to play with them - pls remember to change video decode profile from ‚v4l2’)

(***)
This configuration-less example assumes:
-your DHCP server has proper configuration for time zone
-mythtv master backend has the same IP like DHCP sever (if not see below)
-mythtv DB name/user/pass are: 'mythconverg’ 'mythtv’ ,mythtv’ (if not see below)

In case of any problems You may:
-go in web browser to frontend IP
-select „Logs” in top menu
-examine log to see here issue might be

PS:

host-name for frontend will be:
-taken from DHCP server option "host-name"
-if server not provides hostname option - MiniMyth2 will use "Myth-Frontend-<MAC-address>" as hostname

If Your master backend has different IP that DHCP server - You may add "next-server" option in DHCP configuration.
It should point to IP address of master BE.
Alternatively You can edit settings in minimyth.conf file like described below for DB name/user/pass.

If Your DB name/user/pass are different than 'mythconverg’ 'mythtv’ ,mythtv’ - You may edit in minimyth.conf file on SD card boot FAT partition in settings:

MM_MASTER_SERVER=<DHCP_NEXT_SERVER address>
MM_MASTER_DBUSERNAME='mythtv'
MM_MASTER_DBPASSWORD='mythtv'
MM_MASTER_DBNAME='mythconverg'

Alternatively You can setup TFTP infrastructure where MiniMyth2 will download minimyth.config with appropriate settings.

happy watching
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.