Synchronized mirror frontend

For discussions which are not directly related to MythTV.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zaphod
Junior
United States of America

Synchronized mirror frontend

Post by zaphod »

I'd like to have a frontend in my kitchen that mirrors whatever is on the frontend in my family room. Ideally, the streaming would be in sync, since rooms are not isolated. Sound will be coming from two sources.

There are probably great ways to do this that are not specific to MythTv. So, rather than jumping right to making a feature request. I thought I'd start in the "off-topic" group. I really don't want to run cables, or buy an expensive "wireless hdmi" solution. But maybe that's what makes sense. I know that you can stream your display with VLC or OBS Studio - but that involves a lot of GUI tinkering, and it's probably not going to be in sync. Ideally, I'd just want to turn the system on in the kitchen when I'm in there, and off when I'm not using it.

The kitchen monitor could just be a cell phone or tablet. That would be perfect.
zaphod
Junior
United States of America

Re: Synchronized mirror frontend

Post by zaphod »

...and this reminds me. I recently bought a Roku (even though my satellite internet won't support it), and it's got a really neat feature. The app that you install to your phone (and can use as a remote) has an option to use your phone as wireless headphones. If my phone and headphones are providing the feed, they don't have to be precisely in sync. Does the streaming server (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming_Server) have a button somewhere that will just show me what's playing on each frontend? Could it have that?