List of problems with desktop Linux

For discussions which are not directly related to MythTV.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

christon
Newcomer
India

List of problems with desktop Linux

Post by christon »

I wanted to make a long post about how soon desktop Linux will get a good oppurtunity to get new users and how it still has many issues. I wanted to ask "what can be done to solve this", but then I realised that "this" was not well defined. And I do believe that in order to start looking for the solution to the problem, we firstly need to know what the problem is specifically.

So I looked around the internet to see if there are already any existing projects that aim to provide an overview of the issues that people see with desktop Linux. I found badly written Wikipedia article, a top 5 list, a list that consists mostly of architecture issues and a very detailed list of issues, few of which look to me like cherry-picking. Is that enough? Does that provide a good overview of everything wrong with desktop Linux or should we give XKCD927 a try and make a project that aggregates all the known issues into one place and allows community to rank, update and discuss listed issues?

Then broader question is if such thing would even be useful. Do we even have power to affect bigger Linux distros?

And do we even want to see problems with desktop Linux resolved? We can still keep using distros and not care about wider issues and about newcomers.
Great World 9apps
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Re: List of problems with desktop Linux

Post by Steve Goodey »

Topic moved.
Don't forget the Wiki.
jjthomas
Junior
United States of America

Post by jjthomas »

Linux has come a long way. It still lacks in some areas. As a suggestion, pick a distro you like and become a developer or tester. The only way Linus will get better is if people contribute to its development. For the most part, the people that work on Linux are doing so unpaid and on their own time.

-Julian
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I've been using linux since 2002, and have absolutely no issues with it. Assuming you are comparing to windows. I'm not a windows user at home and never have been unless the count the version 1 I think it was that came packaged with os/2, which I looked at but didn't use. Unfortunately I did have to use it at work for a few years where I had been maintaining the lan and Novell server. So what are your issues with it? It does everything i want for the incredible price of $0. Web server, Usenet server, mail server, and yes, gui interface. The only thing I see it lacks is support for commercial games. If you want to play games buy a (whatever options are out there these days) or be satisfied with the free ones that comes with linux.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.