Ubuntu Pro?

For discussions which are not directly related to MythTV.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Ubuntu Pro?

Post by Steve Goodey »

Having updated my Mythbuntu system today there is a prompt to subscribe to Ubuntu Pro for further updates. A quick search gives "Ten years of security patches and support for Ubuntu LTS releases, and it's free for non-commercial use."

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Don't forget the Wiki.
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: Ubuntu Pro?

Post by gedakc »

Personally I haven't bothered with subscribing to Ubuntu Pro. I treat my PVR like an appliance, and when my appliances are working I prefer to leave them alone and not change/update them. In my case I have an intel based PVR running on Mythbuntu 14.04 and MythTV 0.27 which continues to work well for me.

If a person was also using the same computer for other tasks like surfing the web then having the computer more up-to-date would be more important.

I think that the most recent Ubuntu LTS is still supposed to be fully covered for updates until the next LTS is released without needing an Ubuntu Pro subscription.
caverndigger88
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Ubuntu Pro?

Post by caverndigger88 »

It depends on your level for security updates wanted. You get 5 free tokens for personal use.

Non Pro : Updates for Main/Restricted for 5 Years
Pro : Updates for Main/Restricted and Universe/Multiverse for 10 Years

A good example is "ntp" from two different machines on 20.04 which is still under the "5" year support level. "ntp" is in focal/universe .

Non Pro:
apt-cache policy ntp|grep Candidate
Candidate: 1:4.2.8p12+dfsg-3ubuntu4.20.04.1

Pro:
apt-cache policy ntp|grep Candidate
Candidate: 1:4.2.8p12+dfsg-3ubuntu4.20.04.1+esm1

See below out from two different machines on 20.04..
pro security-status

Non Pro:
This machine is receiving security patching for Ubuntu Main/Restricted repository until 2025.
This machine is NOT attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.
Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-infra' enabled provides security updates for Main/Restricted packages until 2030.
Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled provides security updates for Universe/Multiverse packages until 2030. There are 7 pending security updates.

Pro:
This machine is attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.
Main/Restricted packages are receiving security updates from Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-infra' enabled until 2030.
Universe/Multiverse packages are receiving security updates from Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled until 2030.
You have received 48 security updates.
mythtv-backend
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
31.0+fixes.202203040618.7e4ce1ba98
First recording: Tuesday October 24th, 2017