Cannot playback bluray disk [Solved]

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

to12
Newcomer
Estonia

Cannot playback bluray disk [Solved]

Post by to12 »

Hi,

recently I changed my dvd drive and built in a BD. After some work I can watch BR disks with VLC. But now I'd like to watch them from mythfrontend. I can hear the drive starting when I select the menu button to play back a dvd. However, I get always a message, that opening a device at /dev/sr0 fails.

mythfrontend log:
May 26 00:00:24 mythtclient1 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1567]: I CoreContext mythmediamonitor.cpp:186 (selectDrivePopup) MediaMonitor::selectDrivePopup(DVD-Laufwerk wählen) - One suitable device
May 26 00:00:24 mythtclient1 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1567]: I CoreContext DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:44 (DVDInfo) DVDInfo: Trying dvd://dev/sr0
May 26 00:00:27 mythtclient1 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1567]: E CoreContext DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:59 (DVDInfo) DVDInfo: Öffnen des Geräts bei /dev/sr0 fehlgeschlagen
May 26 00:00:27 mythtclient1 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1567]: I CoreContext DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:75 (~DVDInfo) DVDInfo: Finishing.

It's a 0.27 at Ubuntu 14.04. Any idea?
Last edited by to12 on Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Cannot playback bluray disk

Post by mythbuntubox »

I don't have a Blue-ray drive, but this is what seems to be the current status for playing Blue-ray disks directly from the drive in MythTV:

"While it is currently impossible to place a HD-DVD disk in the drive and play it with MythTV, one can rip the files onto the hard drive and play them with the internal player. Blu-ray playback of some material directly from the disc and as a folder structure on a hard drive is possible"

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Defini ... sk_Formats

Maybe have a read through that page for more details.

If something has changed in the interim, perhaps a Dev will also jump in with more info.
to12
Newcomer
Estonia

Post by to12 »

mythbuntubox wrote: "While it is currently impossible to place a HD-DVD disk in the drive and play it with MythTV, one can rip the files onto the hard drive and play them with the internal player. Blu-ray playback of some material directly from the disc and as a folder structure on a hard drive is possible"

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Defini ... sk_Formats

Maybe have a read through that page for more details.
Well, I've read this page and "As of MythTV .24, the internal player is capable of playing Blu-ray disc structures both directly from the disc and from the folder structure on a hard drive." made me hopeful to get it working, because 0.27 is 3 releases later. I can mount the disk manually or let it mount automatically and after that I can see the folder structure and files. Therefore I supposed the solution for "Cannot open device at /dev/sr0" being a simple setting that I don't know about.

Perhaps using VLC as external player is the key, but as quoted above the internal player of 0.24 (and why not of 0.27) should do it.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Maybe it is then just the same setting issue I ran into. Have you tried the following setting yet?:

Setup > Media settings > Videos Settings > Player Settings and change the DVD Drive value from /dev/dvd to:

Hope it is maybe that simple.

Edit: just saw that this setting may not work with a blue-ray drive, but maybe the alternative setting suggested here and reported working may help you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2249102
to12
Newcomer
Estonia

Re: Cannot playback bluray disk [solved]

Post by to12 »

I've known this thread but have tried only the first post so far. Now I took the second: It works!

Thanks.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Cannot playback bluray disk [Solved]

Post by mythbuntubox »

Well, glad I could vaguely help in that case. Excellent that it is working now! :D
1stbscout
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Cannot playback bluray disk [Solved]

Post by 1stbscout »

Just went through getting blu ray disks to work on mythtv 28. Followed everything I could find on the forums and through Google. Nothing seemed to work. No matter what I tried Myth did not seem to be able to find the disk.
Finally I got to looking at the autofs mountings. After a bit of digging I checked the auto.master and auto.conf files in /etc.
I found that if I added the line:
bluray --fstype=udf,ro :/dev/sr0
to the auto.conf file, then rebooted the system. After changing the mount point in the frontend setup to /media/bluray Myth would attempt to open the BD. But, It still came up with an error about decryption.
This was solved by copying the KEYDB.cfg file from the aacs folder in my /home/*/.config/aacs (* = user name) folder to the .mthtv folder.
Now the front end will play the aacs encrypted disk from the "Play a Disk" menu item.
I am sure there will be another go round as soon as I get my hands on a BD+ encrypted disk but until then at least it works through the native player.

One other detail.... I had already gotten BD's to play in vlc. So the aacs KEYDB.cfg file was already updated by libaacs before I copied it to the .mythtv location.