A half a TB of deleted recordings still taking up space???

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

A half a TB of deleted recordings still taking up space???

Post by mattlach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Hey all,

I never really paid much attention to this before, but I just noticed that my backend is telling me my "Space Used by Deleted Recordings" is 528,536 MB :shock:

Click for bigger:

I navigated into my recordings screen and looked at the "deleted recordings" group.

There are recordings in there dating back to October of last year (last time I reinstalled my backend)

Not all deleted recordings are there though.

Does anyone know what might be going on, and how I can remove these recordings, and make sure future recordings are deleted immediately, rather than being marked for deletion and sitting on my drives for months?

I tried going through the "deleted recordings" group, and re-deleting the files, but this had no effect. They disappeared from the screen, but reload the folder and they are all back...

Much appreciated,
Matt
MythTV 30 in 18.04 LTS w. LXDE, running in LXC Container on Proxmox VE Server. Dual Octacore Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: A half a TB of deleted recordings still taking up space?

Post by PhilB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:09 pm

dating back to October of last year (last time I reinstalled my backend)
I wonder who owns the recordings and what are the permissions? Mine are owned by mythtv and have rw r r
Did your present system inherit them from a previous system and so they have a different owner allocated to them?
Phil

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Post by mattlach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Alright,

So it turns out going through the "deleted recordings" folder the first time actually had some effect. Not an immediate one though, presumably due to the "slow delete" option in the backend.

Being impatient and going through a second time and hitting delete in the deleted recordings group again - however - made the backend throw a hissy-fit, pin a single core at 100%, complain of missing files in the log, and generally become unresponsive until restarted.

However, once restarted, the backend dutifully removed all the deleted recordings.

Is there any way to configure it to delete files immediately upon expiring / requesting delete rather than have them sit in the deleted recordings folder so I don't get impatient and cause the backend to throw another hissy fit? :p
MythTV 30 in 18.04 LTS w. LXDE, running in LXC Container on Proxmox VE Server. Dual Octacore Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Post by mattlach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 pm

PhilB wrote:
dating back to October of last year (last time I reinstalled my backend)
I wonder who owns the recordings and what are the permissions? Mine are owned by mythtv and have rw r r
Did your present system inherit them from a previous system and so they have a different owner allocated to them?
Phil
I appreciate the suggestion!

Last time I re-installed I did so because I made a mess of my database through flaky power after a particularly bad storm causing spontaneous reboots MANY times in a row.

I lost my database and all my database backups, and was forced to start from scratch. (I now use a UPS!)

So, all the recordings are new to this machine. (And besides, they are gone now, see above!)

Appreciate it though!

--Matt

stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuartm » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Do you actually need "slow deletes"? This was a compromise option for crappy filesystems that would tend to lock up if you deleted large files. On filesystems which don't have this limitation it does more harm than good.

You can configure how long to keep deleted recordings before they are removed in mythtv-setup.

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Post by mattlach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 pm

stuartm wrote:Do you actually need "slow deletes"? This was a compromise option for crappy filesystems that would tend to lock up if you deleted large files. On filesystems which don't have this limitation it does more harm than good.
Well, I noticed in the past that ZFS takes a surprisingly long time to delete large files, so I assumed this was the appropriate option for mine.

I'll disable it and see how it works
stuartm wrote: You can configure how long to keep deleted recordings before they are removed in mythtv-setup.
This configuration is the GUI backend configuration you say?

I was looking for something like this, but didn't see it. Do you recall what the option is called, and which screen it is on? I might have seen it and misinterpreted what it was.

Thanks,
Matt

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 pm

mythtv-setup General, page 3 Misc. Settings File Mgmt. "Delete files slowly"

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Post by mattlach » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 am

bill6502 wrote:mythtv-setup General, page 3 Misc. Settings File Mgmt. "Delete files slowly"

Oh, thanks, I know where that one is.

It's the configuration for how long to keep deleted files I was looking for.

Thanks,
Matt

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:51 am

Sorry, I think "Time to retain deleted recordings" (in days) is what you want.
There a good help message for it. Try:
Frontend->Setup->Video->General->General (Auto-Expire).

mattlach
Junior
United States of America

Post by mattlach » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:14 pm

bill6502 wrote:Sorry, I think "Time to retain deleted recordings" (in days) is what you want.
There a good help message for it. Try:
Frontend->Setup->Video->General->General (Auto-Expire).
Interesting! It is on the frontend. I hadn't thought to look there :p

Thanks for the pointer!