Remote works with lirc but not MythTV

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alanwbaker
Junior
United States of America

Remote works with lirc but not MythTV

Post by alanwbaker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:31 pm

Hello,

I have set up a Mythbuntu 14.04 box and MythTV is working except for the remote. The remote works correctly with lirc because I can see the correct responses in irw.

The MythTV docs say...
Once you know that your remote is working, you can either recompile MythTV with native lirc support by enabling it in configure or you need to run the irxevent program, which takes the key presses and sends them to MythTV. If you use native lirc support, you don't need to run irxevent.
I tried both approaches:
  • Assuming that Mythbuntu compiled MythTV with lirc support, I used prog = mythtv in ~/.lirc/mythtv (~/.mythtv/lircrc)
  • Assuming that Mythbuntu did not compile MythTV with lirc support, I used prog = irxevent in ~/.lirc/mythtv (~/.mythtv/lircrc) and ran irxevent.
But MythTV doesn't recognize button presses with either approach. :(

FYI, the IR blaster is an Iguanaworks USB IR transceiver and I recompiled lirc to support it. The remote is a Tivo series 2. In MythTV's setup, the LIRC daemon socket is the default /dev/lircd and the UDP notify port is the default 8948.

What am I missing? :?:

Alan

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Remote works with lirc but not MythTV

Post by wesnewell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 am

home/.mythtv/lircrc should link to your .lirc/mythtv file and make sure it's labels match the labels in your lircd.conf file.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

alanwbaker
Junior
United States of America

Post by alanwbaker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 pm

wesnewell wrote:home/.mythtv/lircrc should link to your .lirc/mythtv file and make sure it's labels match the labels in your lircd.conf file.
Yes, they match. That makes it work correctly with lirc's irw. But there is still some linkage to MythTV missing. :(

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:52 am

No, irw only uses the etc/lirc/lircd.conf file. Mythtv uses the lircrc file in .mythtv to work, which is linked to .lirc/mythtv along with other apps in the .lirc dir. Check the properties of your .mythtv/lircrc file and you should see the link to .lirc/mythtv, and that the one that needs to match the labels of your lircd.conf file.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:12 pm

I misread this at first so can I add clarification please?

etc/lirc/lircd.conf is used by both irw and mythtv. If it works with irw then it's fine.
The next step for Mythtv is the lircrc file (and the link) in .mythtv as described by Wes.

Phil

alanwbaker
Junior
United States of America

Post by alanwbaker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks, Wes and Phil. I'm still perplexed.

My ~/.lirc/mythtv (symlinked to ~/.mythtv/lircrc) came from here.
My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf came from here.

1. Do these two files look correct?
2. Are these locations on my file system correct (the tilde represents my usual logged-in username, not mythtv)?
3. Any other debugging suggestions?

Alan

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 am

All of your button presses using irw should output the labels in the lircd.conf file. IOW's if you press the Tivo button, irw should output TIVO. mute button should output MUTE, etc. for every button defined in the lircd.conf file. These labels are fed to the lircrc file to find a match. Once found it then sends its config function to mythtv. Mythtv then acts as if it was the same as a keyboard press of that key. The problem you have is the lircrc (.lirc/mythtv) only matches a few of the labels, so only a few of the buttons will work. Run irw and press the buttons. Look at the output and then edit your lircrc file to use that label for the function you want. Just one example of buttons that don't work. Note the label in the lircd file for volume up is VOL_UP, while in the lircrc file the label is VOL+. No match, so it won't work. You can change labels in either file as long as they match. I think in your case, you should just record the output of irw for all buttons and then edit your lircrc file to match those labels for the functions you want. And you can also edit functions of keys by using the Edit keys function of Mythtv setup.

alanwbaker
Junior
United States of America

Post by alanwbaker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:42 am

I assumed that the original author synced up the lircd.conf and lircrc files. Bad assumption. I matched up the labels and everything works. Thanks, Wes.