Can record from Live TV but not via schedules

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

woozy
Newcomer
United States of America

Can record from Live TV but not via schedules

Post by woozy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm

After more than 10 years, I finally have a problem I can't figure out on my own. or I don't have the patience for troubleshooting I once had. One of those.

Live TV works beautifully. Recording from Live TV works great. Listings update from EID without issue.

But every time a recording schedule tries to start, I get "Recorder off-line" in the logs. The ID matches what I expect, but it won't start.

Here's what I've done (that I can think of) to get here.

After leaving my system dormant for a period of months while we cut the cord, I finally got a large enough antenna for OTA signals.

I updated from MythBuntu 12 to 14 via repositories, including the latest stable MythTV.

I deleted all my channels, input sources, listings, etc. from cable and started fresh (or so I thought).

I added an input source for the antenna signal, with 2 tuners for an HDHomeRun.

I used all the defaults for the various options, and it found the unit on my network without trouble. HDHomeRun GUI shows good signals, finds channels, and displays video in VLC.

I created a SchedulesDirect listing for what I could tune, connected it to the source, and did a channel scan. It found what I expected from manual testing, everything looked good. I associated the source with the tuners, and ran mythfilldatabase.

The channels got the right XMLTV IDs, the program guide looked right, so I fired up the frontend.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm mystified as to why starting a recording from Live TV works fine but from the program guide it fails.

woozy
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Can record from Live TV but not via schedules

Post by woozy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 am

Well that's embarrassing. Turns out I turned off the scheduler (--nosched option) when I cancelled cable. Forgot all about editing the service start script. Interesting impacts, such that setting recordings from live tv is not affected, but anything involving the scheduler fails with "tuner not available" messages.

simora
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Can record from Live TV but not via schedules

Post by simora » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:07 pm

I had a similar issue but mine appeared to be due to version mismatch between master and slave backends. The recording would show as scheduled and up until about 30 seconds prior to recording start time all looked well. Then it would disappear with no warning or log information. I took my slave out of the mix and all worked as expected.