Intel i3 NUC can't watch HD channels?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imanz90
Newcomer
United States of America

Intel i3 NUC can't watch HD channels?

Post by Imanz90 »

Hello everyone,

Just purchased a new 4th gen i3 NUC with 8gb of memory and 64GB HD. I have tried to use MythTv in windows 8, 7, openelec and mythbuntu but the issue persists. It's fairly simple, if I try to go to an HD channel the steam shows up as SD, it happens in all the OSes listed above and with all the newest drivers. I hav connected my windows 7 i7 laptop to the same backend server and have no issues what so ever streaming all content. The backend is running in mythbuntu on a different machine.

Anyone have any ideas?
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Intel i3 NUC can't watch HD channels?

Post by stuarta »

Make sure you have vaapi enabled in the video profiles, otherwise it's not using any of the hardware acceleration features of the IntelHD graphics chipset
Imanz90
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Imanz90 »

I have tried it with all those possible options. When Windows 7 & 8 I did not have an option for VAAPI but instead had one for DXVA2 which was enabled but the issue was still the same. I would tune into an SD channel and it worked fine, then changed to the HD version of the channel but stream quality was the same. With OpenELEC and Ubuntu installed I had VAAPI enabled but again same issue. I am hoping that it is not a hardware limitation but I cant imagine it would be seeing people have this working on much less powerful machines. Just for reference I have DXVA2 enabled on my windows 7 laptop on which everything is working as expected.
Imanz90
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Imanz90 »

I went ahead and collected the logs and took screenshots of the configurations for video encoding, ect. I have compressed it and uploaded onto dropbox,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtw76e0lospcvps/logs.zip?dl=0

If anyone can see anything in the logs please let me know!!! thanks

EDIT:

Also put a few of the logs on pastebin
First attempt, http://pastebin.com/Sa9iSWwx
Second attempt, http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/9765237/

I also took screenshots of my configurations and posted them here, may be helpful: http://imgur.com/a/HE7t2
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuarta »

Sorry, I thought you were talking about using mythfrontend on the Intel NUC. All those logs you have provided are from kodi. Please supply the logs from mythfrontend if you wish us to debug this further.

Regards
Stuart
cliffgi
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by cliffgi »

For what it is worth, I very recently went online with an Intel i3 NUC and am able to record and watch OTA in HD. Inatially I used Wndows 7 WMC Server backend with Kodi/XBMC/WMC frontends. All seemed to well enough and in HD but quickly tired of DVR controlls and features. Myth is much better. Am now running NUC on Mythbuntu. The NUC is a D3410WYKH with 8Gb, 128SSD and 1T USB3. Tuner is an HDHomerun HDHR3 ATSC. I'm having some issues, mostly relating to familiarity and audio driver setup with the minimalistic OS. Audio not working in browser, but fine in Myth.

I'm not an expert but if you have something you want me to look at and relay, let me know.
akgrant0710
Newcomer
Australia

Post by akgrant0710 »

cliffgi wrote:Am now running NUC on Mythbuntu. ... Audio not working in browser, but fine in Myth.
This is most likely because the myth frontend is using ALSA, while the browser is using PulseAudio. Install pavucontrol:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
While watching a video in the browser look at playing applications in pavucontrol and check that the output device, volumes, etc. make sense.

Cheers,
Alistair