Can I stop Theme Chooser Automatic updates?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ceejaymt
Newcomer
Great Britain

Can I stop Theme Chooser Automatic updates?

Post by ceejaymt »

Hi
I've recently moved my HTPC setup to a "2.0" version with all-new MythTV (27.4) and Ubuntu (14.04) among other things. It's nearly working but there are some snags I need to get rid of!

I'm using the Mythbuntu theme, but have customised it a little to my taste. So I don't want it updating, and I don't want to be nagged by the Theme Chooser every time the Front End starts up - at the moment it seems to be popping up a dialog box on every start up telling me that there is a newer version of the theme and would I like to install it?

How can I stop this happening?

TIA.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Can I stop Theme Chooser Automatic updates?

Post by heyted »

I have a modified Mythbuntu mainmenu.xlm file in my home folder under /home/ted/.mythtv/ . I update the Mythbuntu theme when an update is available, and it keeps the modifications.

From http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hulu_Desktop_Integration :
Copying XML files from /usr/share/mythtv into ~/.mythtv allows you to customize menus and prevents them from being overwritten during an upgrade.
Ted | My blog
ceejaymt
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by ceejaymt »

Thanks, but that's not the whole of the answer. Apart from the general principal of not wanting untested updates dropped on my system, I don't want my users (i.e. other family members) discombobulated by being asked a pesky question about upgrades.

Hence my question - how can I stop the popup, or stop whatever is doing the check for updates?
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Have you tried disabling the updates under the menu of the theme chooser setup menu? Go into theme chooser and press m for the menu. Should be there.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

The proper way to do this is to create a new directory in ~/.mythtv/themes and copy your modified MythBuntu theme into it. Then change the <name> in themeinfo.xml and anything else to distinguish it from the MythBuntu theme <version>, <details> <author> etc.

Once you have done that you should be able to select your new theme in the theme chooser. You may have to force the theme chooser to update the available themes using the menu option.

Obviously once you do this it is up to you to keep your theme up-to-date with any changes required for your version of MythTV.

Incidentally you can also do this for menu layout themes.
ceejaymt
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by ceejaymt »

wesnewell wrote:Have you tried disabling the updates under the menu of the theme chooser setup menu? Go into theme chooser and press m for the menu. Should be there.
I hadn't, because I didn't realise it was there! It's easy when you know how - many thanks for pointing that out, I found the "Disable Theme Update Notifications" option there!

Thanks
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

ceejaymt wrote:
wesnewell wrote:Have you tried disabling the updates under the menu of the theme chooser setup menu? Go into theme chooser and press m for the menu. Should be there.
I hadn't, because I didn't realise it was there! It's easy when you know how - many thanks for pointing that out, I found the "Disable Theme Update Notifications" option there!

Thanks
While that will stop the notifications it wont prevent the possibility of any updates to the MythBuntu theme overwriting your changes.
ceejaymt
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by ceejaymt »

Thanks for the reminder - but, yes, I am editing a copy in ~/.mythtv ...