Can't believe Just How Buggy Mint 17.1 is..

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toddbailey
Junior
United States of America

Can't believe Just How Buggy Mint 17.1 is..

Post by toddbailey »

Seriously this release is almost as bad fedora core 2 or 3.
Here is is day 4* and still don't have a stable install. * It usually takes about 1 to 2 days for a complete reinstall and configure.
Myth tv suffers from random crashes or freezes, Oracle VBox machines can't connect to the internet, freeswitch just plain doesn't work.
Evolution ramdomly closes. I'm spending more time chasing my tail on these issues than ever before. Is it time to switch to a more stable release yet?
How about Debian? If I could find a decent open source Windows based DVR app, I'd consider dropping Linux completely, trying to keep all the nuts and bolts running is too much like a job any more.

Anyone else fighting with linux mint?
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Can't believe Just How Buggy Mint 17.1 is..

Post by stuarta »

I have Mint running on my old mac mini no problem. I even use it as a dev box from time to time. Are you running Mint on hardware or have you tried virtualizing it?
Cato Lindsell
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by Cato Lindsell »

No probs here - been running mint at work home and eeepc netbook.
Perhaps you have a hardware problem? Start with memtest86.
akgrant0710
Newcomer
Australia

Post by akgrant0710 »

I'm running Ubuntu, not Mint, however if you have a Haswell CPU and USB3 ports, you may encounter all sorts of issues due to kernel problems.
swegian
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by swegian »

I built two computers based on the Intel I3 4330, Haswell with HD4600 graphics, and have had great success, including the use of USB3. The first computer started with Mint 17 and was later upgraded to 17.1. The second computer was built with 17.1. I guess the only real differences between the systems is a HDD in the first and a SSD in the second. Both systems have run flawlessly.

I also converted an older computer, based on an Intel I7 from ~4 years ago, to linux with Mint 17.1 and it too runs perfectly.

Hope your issues have been resolved.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

I upgraded three machines in my house to Mint 17.1 on release day.

Not a problem yet.
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

akgrant0710 wrote:I'm running Ubuntu, not Mint, however if you have a Haswell CPU and USB3 ports, you may encounter all sorts of issues due to kernel problems.
Good point.

I don't know if these have been resolved for Haswell, but it is always a good idea to test a newer kernel if having trouble, especially when running newish hardware.

One of Ubuntu's kernels in the 3.13 line did a number on my HTPC's video card. Installed the 3.16 line, and everything was good again.
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
akgrant0710
Newcomer
Australia

Post by akgrant0710 »

mattlach wrote:
akgrant0710 wrote:I'm running Ubuntu, not Mint, however if you have a Haswell CPU and USB3 ports, you may encounter all sorts of issues due to kernel problems.
Good point.

I don't know if these have been resolved for Haswell, but it is always a good idea to test a newer kernel if having trouble, especially when running newish hardware.

One of Ubuntu's kernels in the 3.13 line did a number on my HTPC's video card. Installed the 3.16 line, and everything was good again.
:D

There are continuing fixes for the xHCI driver all the way through to the 4.1 kernel. There's a patch that has been accepted, that probably won't make it in to 4.0, that fixes isochronous devices, e.g. video and audio capture devices, for Intel USB3 (xHCI) Host Controllers.

So, at least for USB3, the more recent the kernel, the better.