[SOLVED] MythFillDatabase fails on me after new video source... Help!!!

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aazman
Junior
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:01 am
United States of America

Re: [Solved?] MythFillDatabase fails on me after new video source... Help!!!

Post by aazman »

Hello, people from the future. I hate trying to skim a forum thread to see if the thread is really applicable to my situation and to figure out exactly which post has the correct solution. So here's a summary and what worked for me.

==>Summary<==
After creating a new video source and scanning for channels (because I couldn't watch/record some channels through MythTV. See my other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5616), MythFillDatabase would not find program data. I kept seeing the following error messages in my MFDB output:

Code: Select all

-Mythsocket failed to connect to [ip address]. connection refused.
-Connection to master server timed out
-failed to connect to master backend

for each day, it says
-downloading data direct feed
-datadirect: failed to get data: download error
-error encountered in grabbing data
Ultimately, I decided that my system (MythTV v.29 & Ubuntu v.18) were too out of date and using the old DataDirect method of grabbing data. I needed to upgrade at least MythTV to use the new JSON method of grabbing data.

==>Solution<==
I decided to backup my videos and database (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore), wipe my hard drive clean, and start with a fresh install of Ubuntu v.22.

Before installing MythTV, I installed MythBuntu Control Panel using the installation code here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu_C ... or_Xubuntu. (The instructions on the wiki for installing MythTV on Ubuntu do not direct you to install the necessary ppa for the control panel).

Still before installing MythTV, I installed the xmltv package manually using the code here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Installation, but I think I could have done it from MythBuntu Control Panel.

Yet still before installing MythTV, I setup the grabber using the SQLite DB version of the Schedules Direct grabber using the code here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup ... son_sqlite. (Important Note: the code above on the same page (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Command_Line_Setup) for the configuration of the "regular" JSON Schedules Direct grabber does NOT include instructions to run the --manage-lineups code. I'm pretty sure this is essential and should probably be added to the Wiki). I do get all the channels available to me, so I didn't have to do any channel selection.

The only other error I ran into was permissions of the grabber's xmltv configuration file.

Code: Select all

$cd /home/mythtv/.mythtv
/home/mythtv/.mythtv$ ls -l
should show:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv ... antenna.xmltv
Instead, for whatever reason, mine showed:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root ... antenna.xmltv
Changing the owner was necessary and important. Still not sure if the root ownership was something I did or something wrong in the setup instructions.

Code: Select all

/home/mythtv/.mythtv$ sudo chown mythtv:mythtv antenna.xmltv
/home/mythtv/.mythtv$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv ... antenna.xmltv
Finally, I installed MythTV v.34 (I did it from command line using the code here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu, but the MythBuntu Control Panel would do this, too).

From there, following all the backend setup prompts, following the guide here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Configuring_MythTV gave me no problems. When I got to the Video Source setup, I skipped the suggestion to run the terminal commands, as I had already setup the grabber. Scanning for channels worked fine. I had a fully functioning MythTV again. Restarting the computer and running MFDB successfully populated my program guide.

Hope that helps.
Post Reply