dual tuner Homeruns cant record 2 shows at once

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lobosolo
Newcomer
United States of America

dual tuner Homeruns cant record 2 shows at once

Post by lobosolo »

Hey all, I have been away from mythtv for about 4 years and just got back into it. Most everything came back to me and I think I have it all setup properly but I can only record one show at a time. If watching a show, I can select any of the 4 tuners and it will tune in properly. I have 2 silicon dust
dual tuner HDhomerun boxes on the network.Not sure why I am getting recording conflicts.

My trouble shooting so far.
1. made sure none of the tuners are being used as EIT
2. video sources are all set and grabbing the json properly
3. Input connections. this is where I think I am struggling as something appears to have changed from 4 years back. I set all 4 inputs the same
  • Max recording:1
    schedule as group (checked yes)
    input priority 1
    schedule order 1
    live tv order 1
    input group 1 generic
    input group 2 generic
I have recorded single shows without any issues but the input connections dont feel familiar and I read that there might be some new way mythtv schedules shows but I dont quite understand it.

Any help or insight would be very appreciated.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: dual tuner Homeruns cant record 2 shows at once

Post by kmdewaal »

Have a look at the channel scanning WIki pages https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning and especially the paragraph about configuring the HDHomeRun https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners.
pabergeron
Newcomer
Canada

Post by pabergeron »

It looks like I have the exact same problem with a bran new Mythtv 0.33 setup using a HDhomerun dual network card. I can watch live TV and record a show at the same time but can't record two shows at the same time. I did not change anything in record priorities.
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I noticed something curious while looking at this. I have a single HDHR dual tuner which works fine for multiple recordings including multirec.

In Input Connections > Interaction between Inputs each Input Connection uses Generic for Input Group 1 and Input Group 2 (What are these, and why are there two of them I wonder?). IIRC, I just left these as the defaults. The interesting part is the comment at the bottom of the screen in mythcenter-wide when selecting Input Group 1 or 2:

Code: Select all

Leave as 'Generic' unless this input is shared with another device.  Only one of the inputs in an input group will be allowed to record at any given time.
I guess I don't understand the terms 'input' and 'device' here. Read one way, this seems to say that my setup should only be able to record from one input at a time. Read another way, my setup should be able to record more than one, but OP could only use one HDHR at a time. Neither of these seem quite right. However, it's an interesting comment nonetheless.

Also of note, though I seriously doubt it has anything to do with OP's issue, I have Max Recordings set to 2 and 3 (as is, NOT 1), which according to the comment in mc-wide is necessary for multirec.

@lobosolo, when you say you're getting recording conflicts, what do you see and where do you see this (e.g. a C in Upcoming Recordings)? And what are the "Display name"s for each of your Inputs?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

@lobosolo
2. video sources are all set and grabbing the json properly
The plural suggest that you have more than one video source.
Assuming that your HDHomeRuns are connected to the same antenna signal you need only one video source. All capture card entries (four in total for two dual tuners) have to be connected to that video source.

@white_haired_uncle
Also of note, though I seriously doubt it has anything to do with OP's issue, I have Max Recordings set to 2 and 3 (as is, NOT 1), which according to the comment in mc-wide is necessary for multirec.
If you have e.g. Max Recordings set to 2 then you can make two simultaneous recordings from that input.
If you have the "Schedule as Group" unchecked then this maximum stays at 2, even if you want to do 3 simultaneous recordings from that input.
If you have the "Schedule as Group" checked then additional virtual tuners are created when needed. So if Max Recordings is 2 and you want to do 3 simultaneous recordings then an additional virtual tuner is created and the Max Recordings becomes 3.
See also the Wiki paragraphs https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Recordings and https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... e_as_Group.
pabergeron
Newcomer
Canada

Post by pabergeron »

Found the problem....
The plural suggest that you have more than one video source.
Assuming that your HDHomeRuns are connected to the same antenna signal you need only one video source. All capture card entries (four in total for two dual tuners) have to be connected to that video source.
My error was to create two video sources. After resetting to two input cards and only one video source I was able to record two channels at once.

Thanks to kmdewaal for pointed that out to me.