Jerky playback

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Re: Jerky playback

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I use icewm at the moment, but I only put that in place because it was needed to pass keystrokes to mpv when used for videos. Now that I can play av1 with the internal player I no longer have a used for a WM.

Personally, I don't hate the nvidia driver. I don't care one way or the other about it. I can play everything I want just fine with nouveau out of the box without having to mess with anything, so I don't see any reason to. It's not like I need to watch videos faster, and I've no plans to waste my money on a 3D, I mean 4K, display.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Sorry I was asking OP what DE manager he/she uses..

4K displays are not a waste.. 1080 LCDs screens are just horrible to look at.
Nouveau here just crashes hard & often (sadly).
Developer hate (Mate etc) not user hate so much..

Can we please not derail this thread into another topic?
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc »

white_haired_uncle wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:01 pm
gedakc wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:11 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:41 am
... but then I set up an option in the profile so that if the video was 1920x1080 (same as my TV native resolution) not to do any deinterlacing and just let the TV handle it.
If possible can you please share how you set up the option to let the TV handle the deinterlacing of MythTV recordings?
Frontend > Settings > TV Settings > Playback > Current Video Profile

From there I have two entries. The first has Width Range >=1920, and Height Range >=1080 (maybe this should be =, not >=, but I haven't encountered video resolutions larger than the TV yet). In this one both Deinterlacer Quality are set to None.

The second entry has nothing for Width/Height, so it matches anything else. Here I include my deinterlacing settings for other resolutions.

My understanding is that this setup sends 1080i recordings straight to the TV to use the built in deinterlacing, and handles 480i with the PC. There's been changes to playback since I set this up, so I don't know how accurate this is, but it was necessary years ago and playback still works fine today so I haven't messed with it.
Thanks for the details. I plan to test that out later with a Raspberry Pi 2 as that would significantly reduce the CPU/GPU load to watch 1080i OTA MPEG2.
stinga
Junior
Australia

Post by stinga »

Code: Select all

root@mythtv:~# cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/sddm
I am unsure how to proceed.
My mythtv is quite old now and been through many iterations so it could be old settings left over.

I didn't understand
To guarantee no tearing with Nvidia VDPAU it must be using overlay & NOT blitter.
Or I don't understand how to know if that is affecting me or not.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

run nvidia-settings & turn on the OSD info:
X Screen 0 /OpenGL settings:
tick Enable Flipping
tick/enable Sync Vblank
tick/enable Graphics API Visual Indicator

run glxgears
In top left cnr of screen it will reveal "FLIP VSYNC-ON".
I believe this is okay.

When you run mythfrontend full screen you only see the visual indicator OSD in menus.
I have never ever had tearing with VDPAU.

I have unresolved tearing with streaming video in Firefox VAAPI because I can't compile / use VAAPI-VDPAU driver on older distro.