100% CPU Usage / PC Hangs / Frontend Crashes If End Of Recording Screen Is Displayed / Times Out? (Updated)

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

100% CPU Usage / PC Hangs / Frontend Crashes If End Of Recording Screen Is Displayed / Times Out? (Updated)

Post by mtvf2894 »

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to start looking for a solution where if you let the End Of Recording screen time out it will intermittently either hang the whole PC or crash the frontend application? (high CPU usage and perhaps ?memory leak/run away process? as soon as screen appears see update below)

The end of recording screen is the one that displays the Delete It But Allow To Record, Delete It and Save It So I Watch Again options.

If you choose an option it seems to work fine and it does occasionally not crash/hang when you let it timeout - not worked out yet what may make it work sometimes and not others.

It is particularly bad if you fall asleep whilst watching a recording, it will eventually display the end of recording screen, it times out and then completely hangs the PC then no subsequent recordings are made until you hard reset the PC :(

Update: If you have htop open as soon as the End Of Recording screen appears several mythfrontend.real threads jump to 100%-300% CPU usage immediately. Memory usage continually rises/consumed by the mythfrontend.real processes, GB and GBs until there is no memory free, after about 90 seconds htop stops updating, everything becomes unresponsive and you eventually get a frontend crash (memory usage returns to normal but high CPU usage can remain) or the PC completely hangs.

v33.1+fixes.202304101849.51cb10a678~ubuntu22.04.1

Thanks
Current: v32 now v33.1 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Re: 100% CPU Usage / PC Hangs / Frontend Crashes If End Of Recording Screen Is Displayed / Times Out? (Updated)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Not really a solution, but if you want to keep your PC from hanging when you're not actively working on the problem...

Settings > TV Settings > Playback > General Playback > Prompt at End of Recording.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: 100% CPU Usage / PC Hangs / Frontend Crashes If End Of Recording Screen Is Displayed / Times Out? (Updated)

Post by kmdewaal »

Sounds like a real bug to me. Please create a Github issue for this on https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues so it can be picked up when somebody is bored and/or looking for a challenge :-)
Please also specify your graphics environment (Xorg, Wayland, Gnome, LXDE etc) and hardware (Nvidia, AMD, Intel, RPi etc).
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I cannot reproduce the problem on my development laptop (Fedora 38, Intel graphics, Wayland but with "-platform xcb").
I just tried this by checking the "Prompt at end of recording" checkbox and then playing something until the end.
When I do not click anything in the dialog box then it disappears by itself after about two minutes and then the Watch Recordings page is shown again.

My best guess is that there is something different in your graphics environment that does trigger this bug.
mtvf2894
Junior
Great Britain

Post by mtvf2894 »

Just a quick update I am still experiencing this problem (100% reproducible for me) but I think it may be limited to when using accelerated VAAPI playback. May also be specific to what codec it is playing back also.

This may be related to the general problem with VAAPI playback see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5021

I am trying to collate some useful data on what works and doesn't and will post.
Current: v32 now v33.1 / Lubuntu 22.04 / AMD APU
Previous: v31 / Lubuntu 20.10 / AMD APU
Historic: Mythbuntu / NVIDIA GFX