Elapsed time of recordings doesn't match the schedules (or reality)

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hedgehog52
Junior
United States of America

Elapsed time of recordings doesn't match the schedules (or reality)

Post by hedgehog52 »

I'm not sure how long I have had this problem, but the elapsed times shown do not match the actual length of the recording. It's not a matter of starting the recording x minutes early and/or ending y minutes late. The "real" length of the videos seems to be OK. It's the displayed (and search) length that is wrong. I pulled up a sample recording of "Fast Money" on CNBC. It's a 30 minute recording, but the time scale (when I hit pause) shows 35:58. This is MythTV Version v31.0, running on Debian 11.6 according to /etc/debian_version. My recorder is a Hauppauge HDPVR. Where should I start to figure out what the problem is?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Elapsed time of recordings doesn't match the schedules (or reality)

Post by paulh »

Pre and post roll?
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I've never seen this with recordings, but I did see something like it with video lately. In my case, I'd play a video and come to the end and it would show that there was still a lot of time left, but there wasn't. And skipping forward and backward, at least toward the end, was, um, non-deterministic.

I was playing with settings in HandBrake at the time while pulling these videos from DVD, and I'm pretty sure the cause was variable frame rate. I never confirmed this, but the time frame matches up pretty well.

There is some old stuff out on the web about people having grief with VFR on Hauppauge devices, but I have zero clue if this might affect myth. Just throwing it out there just in case.
hedgehog52
Junior
United States of America

Post by hedgehog52 »

@white_haired_uncle, your words "variable frame rate" reminded me of an odd message I see from time to time on the screen where it is switching from 50fps to 60fps. I had forgotten that I have a device from Amazon to switch from HDMI to Component. I'll bet that's where the problem is. Come to think of it, from time to time I get a separation between video and audio. I'll have to fiddle with that to see if there's a way to "fix" the frame rate it's passing through.

Thanks!
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Post by white_haired_uncle »

There's a discussion, starting at post 447 here

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hd-pvr ... 86/page-23

and running into the next page, which discusses issue(s) that sound similar, along with some tools to fix broken recordings. I don't know the device, so I can't really follow the discussion, but some of the words at least rhyme with those you've mentioned.