New install, unable to connect to DB

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mookie
Newcomer
United States of America

New install, unable to connect to DB

Post by mookie »

I've seen there's a page for learning about collecting/posting log file info; I'll need to look at that. Let me first ask a couple general questions about setting up Mythtv. I'm following the installation steps in the Mythbuntu Control Panel official wiki page.

I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 (fresh) and attempting to setup Mythtv 33 (primary BE Desktop FE), with 2 hdhomeruns (1 HDHR3, 1 Prime) & Schedules Direct

- I previously had Mythbuntu 16.04 running with these tuners and until I tried "upgrading the OS", myth worked very well. So well, that I no longer have any recollection about the initial setup process. Anyhow, the old one is dead, gone. There's no database to carryover. It'll have to be a "fresh start".

- I've followed the MCP wiki page, to the letter, and keep getting the same result. (If it's not stated in the MCP wiki, I didn't do it). I did it a few times thinking I might have gotten something out of order, but after I've done the configuration (via the MCP), I reboot, but when I try to run the BE my password is rejected. I get the big blue screen "unable to connect to database".

- The only hiccups I encounter during the process is setting up a video source. For simplicity I started with just the HDHR3 tuner (antenna) and will worry about the prime later. I gather things have switched to XMLTV, so I chose the Schedules Dircect Json grabber and corresponding "format?" from Sched Direct for the Over the Air channels. And I previously ticked the box (System Roles) to use XMLTV guide data. I've also setup default storage for recordings and live-tv at the folders in /var/lib/mythtv. In the "input" section I try to have myth "fetch" the channel data from SD, but I guess it doesn't happen, as no channel info populates the Channel Editor. After rebooting I try to come back to do a channel scan, but my password gets rejected.

I assume I'm doing something out of order that's creating a permission issue, or running something as the wrong user. Is there something I'm not considering when following the wiki step-by-step, or is it a given that I read the logs/debug after the fact?

wow, sorry didn't mean for that to be so long.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: New install, unable to connect to DB

Post by heyted »

Hi. Welcome to the forum. When you say "when I try to run the BE," if you are selecting the option to start the backend after exiting MythTV Backend Setup (mythtv-setup), don't do that. Instead, select the option to not start the backend when prompted upon exiting mythtv-setup and reboot. After configuring the backend and rebooting, the backend should start automatically. Start MCP, and the option to stop the backend should not be grayed out, which indicates the backend is running.

I recently tested MCP with v33.1 when it was released a few weeks ago, and all went well. I used Schedules Direct and an HDHR Prime. I used the procedure shown in the video at the link below. Since you are not currently doing the setup with a Prime, the setup will be slightly different. If using mythtv-setup to configure the grabber, the video source must be saved before proceeding to configure the grabber regardless of which tuner is being used. This is shown in this video starting at time index 3:41 to configure the video source, and starting at time index 5:55 to configure the grabber. The option to configure the listings grabber is within the video source menu. If the user proceeds with the grabber configuration without saving the video source first, the grabber will fail when it runs. At time index 4:11, there is a note in the video to "do nothing in here for now" for the listings grabber. Instead of configuring the grabber at that time, exit the video sources menu by hitting Esc and save when prompted and come back to the video sources menu later as shown in the video.

If the grabber is misconfigured by being configured without a video source being saved first, I think a file in /home/mythtv needs to be deleted (I do not recall the exact file). If this is the case, it may be easier to reinstall Ubuntu/Xubuntu and start over. Or, maybe someone else can help with this part.
Ted | My blog
mookie
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: New install, unable to connect to DB

Post by mookie »

Thank you very much.
I'll pay closer attention to not starting the backend before rebooting. I'm sure I did/didn't during different attempts.

The video is a huge help, and following the video during the setup resulted in what seems a fully working setup. Thanks! An issue still kept happening though. Fetching the channel data just populates the editor with 3 channels with "unknown" channel numbers. This setup was done with a complete reinstall of the OS to get rid of any misconfigured files. Scanning the channels, instead of fetching, is successful and all the channels (50ish) are visible in the editor (and mythfilldatabase gets all the program info). But again, everything seems to function. I'm just concerned something is still amiss.

I logged into Schedules Direct and made sure the XMLTV checkbox was selected in my account details. I deleted my old DD OTA line up, in case that caused any confusion. I went through the grabber (SDjsonAPI, default format) configuration and deleted the existing (presented) lineup for my OTA/zip code. Then re-added the OTA line up for my zip, exactly as in the video. But when the "fetch" is done, only the same 3 same channels appear in the editor.

edit: Just realized Live TV is not working, though it can record.

Also, what is the "normal" way to make subsequent (after the initial setup) changes the the BE setup? Launch the BE setup via MCP, or the script/icon that Mythtv puts in the OS menu?