supposedly all installed, but not talking to itself

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dochawk
Junior
United States of America

supposedly all installed, but not talking to itself

Post by dochawk »

After getting the pieces close, I wiped the sd and started again, to make sure I knew where I was getting there from. (in fact, I then made my accounts, updated, added tcsh, and copied the accumulated .deb's over, then cloned it to work with . . .)

I can't figure out what to ask for info that would be useful to post here.

I have the MacBook to connect to everything by ssh and X, a hdhomerun scribe quatro for a tuner, an orange pi 4 LTS for a backend, an appletv 4k for the frontend, and the schedules direct subscription.

It's now recognizing all four tuners, and accepting password information for schedules direct.

It successfully scans channels, supposedly both by schedules direct and the tuner.

I've put the prebuilt mythfrontend for osx onto the MacBook running ventura, and have gone to security to enable it, but clicking it simply causers the icon to shudder, and nothing starts up. Checking with "ps aux | grep -I myth" shows that nothing is running.

I installed the mythtv app on the appletv, and calling it "minimal" would be an understatement. it can't even confirm that it's connected to the backend, or that the backend is talking.

I installed the frontend on to the pi, and it can display its interface on X. Getting to system status tells me "Failed: XMLTV grabber returned error code 2", and claims that there is 8 days of guide data. But if I go to the program guide, it shows the channel names and numbers, all with "unknown(unknown)" for two hours. right-clicking gives me options, but watch tv (not surprisingly over X) fails to initialize video, while anything else gives me, at most "category: unknown; mythtv status: not recording".

this all leaves me at a loss as to what to provide to help figure out what isn't working; as near as I can tell, the backend works and the front end doesn't

oh, and with the pi connected to the HDMI on the television, I can use it as a console, and even got starts to display a cursor (but not the xterm it was supposedly running), but setting sound (over X from the Mac) to HDMI doesn't seem to send sound when I test it.

hawk, at a complete loss
dochawk
Junior
United States of America

Re: supposedly all installed, but not talking to itself

Post by dochawk »

and as an afterthought, the kind that shows up in the middle of the night and ruins sleep, I noticed that the setup utility displays a password for the database, one that I didn't give it.

but there are no error/failure messages, so . . .