HDHomerun network tuner configuration

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ReneEngbers
Newcomer
Netherlands

HDHomerun network tuner configuration

Post by ReneEngbers »

Hi all,

I finally have my HDHomerun network tuner working, the configuration in MythTV 32 is now different than is used to be. I wanted to update https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust ... etup/DVB-C but I cannot create an acoount to update this page. Can someone pleae update the page with the information below (or give me access)?

In the past a number of of captrure cards needed to be configured (matching the number of tuners). And for each capture card a specific tuner needed to be specified in the form <device id>-<tuner sequence number>. This is described on the mentioned wiki page. Nowadays, this has changed. The implementation of the module in MythTV for the HDHomerun negotiates with the HDHomerun device for a free tuner. This means that the configuration is simpler in a way, but also a bit unexpected. Since there is negotiation for an available tuner on the fly, I do not specify the specific tuner, but I do have to add four of the same capture card definitions (my HDHomerun has four tuners). Note, the HDHomerun can only extract one program stream from a transport stream, so per capture card the maximum numer of programs per card is 1.

It took me quite some time to figure this out, Once I noticed this negotiation of available tuners in the logfile I started to understand the current design. I think this information is helfull for others using the MythTv - HD Homerun setup.

Regards, Rene
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: HDHomerun network tuner configuration

Post by kmdewaal »

There is a WIki page about channel scanning, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning, with a paragraph about how to configure a HDHomeRun, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners and although it is not specific for DVB-C I think it would have helped you.
To be honest, the Wiki page you mention was not on the top of my mind. It might be a good idea to add a cross-reference.
About access to update the Wiki, this is a manual procedure to avoid misuse but I expect that can be realized in a few days.
ReneEngbers
Newcomer
Netherlands

Post by ReneEngbers »

Ah, this is exactly what I concluded. I'm not so familiar with Mythtv, or it has been some time since my previous installation, so I was just following setup/configuration pages. The title scanning I more associate with obtaining transponder frequencies or so. I think it would be good to update the page I mentioned, perhaps 8ndeed adding a link like you proposed. For me this old page was now confusing.
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Post by white_haired_uncle »

ReneEngbers wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:23 pm
Note, the HDHomerun can only extract one program stream from a transport stream, so per capture card the maximum numer of programs per card is 1.
This is not entirely correct. I have an ATSC HDHR Connect Duo, and I regularly record two programs (on the same channel) with one tuner (and I do mean one of the two tuners, not one HDHR). I have confirmed this by watching hdhomerun_config_gui as the second recording starts. The network rate went up on one tuner, the other tuner remained unused, and myth showed two (successful) recordings.

If I look at webfrontend, it shows that I have three tuners, when I have only two physical and only two configured in myth. If I look at Information Center in mythcenter-wide, I see something like "Tuner 0: 1 recording, 1 available. Tuner 1: 1 available". When I configured the device, I only (could) set up two tuners with one input each (my terminology is probably incorrect here, I can't look it up right now). My understanding is that the extra "virtual" tuner was created automatically when it was needed, and there is no practical limit to the number of virtual tuners.

The keyword to search for is multirec (you probably know this, others might not). I believe the configuration has changed in recent versions (the current being v33). There are conflicting reports out there about how this works, but I can say what I've described above works for me.