[Solved] Cannot watch channel on Raspberry Pi (Please Wait...)

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

steve E
Newcomer
United States of America

[Solved] Cannot watch channel on Raspberry Pi (Please Wait...)

Post by steve E »

I am trying to run the myth frontend and backend on a raspberry pi 4 (not recommended, I know), and I got everything configured (including scanning for channels) but when I go to the channel guide, select a channel, and then select "Watch this Channel", I get a message: "Please wait..." and it just hangs. I am running Ubuntu 22.10 and myth 32.0+fixes on the Raspberry Pi 4 with a Hauppage WinTV-DualHD tuner. Everything worked fine with this tuner and antenna on an Intel Laptop. Any ideas on what might be wrong? I tried recording a channel too and it would not record. I got an entry for the show but nothing was recorded for it.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Cannot watch channel on Raspberry Pi (Please Wait...)

Post by PhilB »

I suggest you establish why recordings are failing before looking at your live tv problem. Remember that livetv is doing a recording behind the scenes.

Have you looked in the backend log? Note the time of failure then

Code: Select all

less /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
Does it give a clue?
Phil
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

You may find some help in this post: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5225

I have used an RPI4 4GB and a HDHomeRun Quatro tuner to record 4 HD programs at the same time while playing a previous recording with mythfrontend. It should work fine.
steve E
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by steve E »

Thanks for the pointers. I have it working now. It looks like the problem was a simple file permission issue. My mythtv storage directory had 777 permissions but its parent directory was 750 and wasn't in the mythtv group. Once I changed it to 755 everything started working.