Hauppauge Quad IR Rcvr not appearing

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pal72
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Hauppauge Quad IR Rcvr not appearing

Post by pal72 »

Ok Richard,
problem solved!
I changed the uinput to False, but that didn't achieve a fix.
But your comment about ".lircrc in the home directory of the user mythtv" set me thinking and investigating where I had put .lircrc.
so lircrc is in my home directory in .mythtv. Now most of the functions work. I have to sort out starting up the front end (easy) and setting up an Esc key.

I will also try changing the uinput to True just to test if it has any influence.

Thanks for all your help and comments. And thanks also for the compiled module. Without that, this would not be working.
Peter
rg4myth
Junior
United States of America

Post by rg4myth »

Hi Peter,

That's awesome! Although it didn't solve the problem, I'm hoping that uinput change at least got rid of the error:

Oct 16 11:37:31 localhost.localdomain lircd[765]: lircd-0.10.0[765]: could not open uinput
Oct 16 11:37:31 localhost.localdomain lircd[765]: : No such file or directory

It's the little things ;-)

I'm glad I was able to help. If you need an updated kernel module, just ping me.

All the best,

- Richard.
pal72
Newcomer
Australia

Post by pal72 »

Hi Richard,
Could you compile the mod for kernel fedora 6.0.9-300.fc37. please.
I have yet to update the mythtv machine to fedora 37 though, so it is probable that a later kernel minor version gets installed.

After that I would value your advice on compiling the mod myself. This guide might help me. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
Thanks
Peter
rg4myth
Junior
United States of America

Post by rg4myth »

Hi Peter,

I don't have Fedora 37 installed yet (hoping to do that over the weekend), so I'm afraid I lack the environment to build that kernel module at this time.

Building a kernel module is not as complex as building the entire kernel. The "Building Only Kernel Modules (Out Of Tree Modules)" section in the document you linked to provides the gist, but is lacking some steps. I'd be happy to share my build script that downloads the kernel code, prepares the environment, patches the cx23885 kernel module and then just compiles that module. I just need to make sure it doesn't have dependencies on quirks in my environment, so I'll need to run some tests after removing several directories :-)

There is a chance that Fedora 37 requires some changes to the script. While nothing is hard-coded for a specific Fedora release, I've had to change the logic a few times when a newer Fedora release made subtle changes to the kernel build process. The current logic feel pretty robust, but if you'd like I can test it first on Fedora 37 after upgrading, so you don't have to troubleshoot issues on an environment I can't see.

As a heads up, at minimum the script needs the following RPMs installed:
  • kernel
  • kernel-devel
  • rpm-build
  • make
  • patch
  • binutils
  • koji
Let me know if you'd like me to test this first on Fedora 37.

Kind regards,

- Richard.
pal72
Newcomer
Australia

Post by pal72 »

Hmmm, Richard,
I've compiled kernels in the past, may the dim distant past. I might have done that under Slackware.

Anyway, if you don't mind providing your script, I can try it out. At least it will give me a better guide to the steps involved. and it will save me time in working out via various google searches the full details of extracting the module from git, compilation, etc etc.

So there is no hurry for you to test out the latest kernel. The mythtv machine is still at f35, with the f37 upgrade modules sitting in cache, waiting to be installed.

The weather is improving now, so I will go for a bike ride.
Regards
Peter
rg4myth
Junior
United States of America

Post by rg4myth »

Hi Peter,

I've uploaded the build script here https://www.dutchies.us/media/Fix_IR_on ... D-ATSC.tar

Extract the tar file, cd into the directory "Fix_IR_on_Hauppauge_WinTV-QuadHD-ATSC", then run:

Code: Select all

./build.sh
If the script completes successfully, you should have a directory called kmods containing a subdirectory matching the kernel version, in which you'll find cx23885.ko.xz for that kernel.

By default the script builds for the running kernel. If you want to build for a different kernel that exists on your system as "kernel" and "kernel-devel" packages, run:

./build.sh --kernel KERNEL_VERSION
If you want the script to clean up the ~/rpmbuild area and the downloaded kernel source after the build, add the option --postclean, like:

./build.sh --postclean
Best of luck! Please let me know how this is working for you.

With kind regards,

- Richard.
pal72
Newcomer
Australia

Post by pal72 »

Richard,
the script worked fine. I was wondering whether to run it as root or not. It performed well under an ordinary user.
The only odd message I got was "user mockbuild does not exist - using root" which must come from somewhere outside the build.sh.

So, I will copy the script and install appropriate utils on the mythtv machine running an earlier release of the kernel, and recompile. Then I can test out the module there to verify it works, and the process is ok. If it does work, then the next step is to upgrade to fedora 37 with the latest kernel. And recompile using your script, install, and test with the latest kernel version.
Thanks muchly
Peter

Next job here is to fix a tyre puncture which destroyed my bike ride this morning. I had to call the equivalent of AAA home i.e. my wife, to come and take me home.
rg4myth
Junior
United States of America

Post by rg4myth »

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear it’s working! I’m not running the script as root either. (I have as “dnf” wrapper running as root, calling build.sh as a regular user when it detects a new kernel, then installing the resulting kmod.)

First one to run the script on Fedora 37 wins :-)

I initially read that the tire puncture destroyed your bike, and tried to imagine what type or blowout that must have been. Glad it wasn’t that serious. May it fix easily!

All the best,

- Richard.
Last edited by rg4myth on Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.