Sat>IP Channel Scan issues

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

strenker
Newcomer
Germany

Sat>IP Channel Scan issues

Post by strenker »

Hi,

i just try to set up a DigitalDevices OctopusNET S4 Sat>IP Server in a MythTV 32.0 from scratch install on a Gentoo Linux Box.

Step 2: Mythtv-setup finds the OctopusNET Sat>IP server as native Sat>IP server with 4 tuners. I did set up a new Sat>IP capture card with tuner 3. No issues so far.

Step 3: Set up of a new recording profile was straight forward.

Step 4: I added a new video source "OctopusNet" with default frequency setup and EIT scan (later i changed the frequency plan to "europe-west" with no difference)

Step 5: Linking the video source with the capture card and then channel scan fails with all different scan types. On the terminal where i started mythtv-setup i see the error message
2022-08-03 01:06:50.042714 E DTVMux: Invalid frequency parameter
just this single line.

When I was asked to increase the network buffers via sysctl i issued the "sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=8000000" and tried again.

Without channels i am stuck. Is there an option to import the channels from an external source? The Sat>IP server is able to produce M3U and JSON lislings for download.

Many thanks in advance. Any help is highly appreciated.

All boxes are in the same IPv4 and IPv6 subnet, no firewalls or running iptables et. all.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Sat>IP Channel Scan issues

Post by kmdewaal »

Step 2: Mythtv-setup finds the OctopusNET Sat>IP server as native Sat>IP server with 4 tuners. I did set up a new Sat>IP capture card with tuner 3. No issues so far.
The MythTV software has not been tested against the OctopusNET SatIP server so this is good.

First, have a look at the Wiki https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning and also look at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... 28Tuned.29. The most often overlooked bit is that you have to do a LEFT ARROW after entering the tuner parameters to get back to the previous menu page. Doing an ESCape here clears the tuning parameters.

How to do the scanning does depend on what you are receiving. Is it terrestrial, cable or satellite?
Ray01
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Ray01 »

I am also using OctopusNet, Mythtv-Version is 34. The whole configuration is without problems. When I start scanning, it runs fine and many station are found. But when scanning is finished, the screen disappears and I am asked whether I want to start the Mythtv-Backend. No stations are saved.

What can I do? Many thanks.

Ray
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The scan is finding channels so you are almost there! It looks like the default values for the channel scan options are not good in your case.

After the scan is done there is a set of filters applied to decide whether to store the channels. The options to decide on this are described in the Wiki here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... annel_Scan and you can start by disable the option "Complete Scan Data required" described here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... a_required

MythTV does store the unfiltered results of each scan and you can replay a scan with different filtering options from the stored scan results by selecting the "Import existing scan" as scan type. This can save you a lot of time. See the Wiki page https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... sting_scan

Just curiosity from my side: which satellite are you scanning?
Ray01
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Ray01 »

Hi, many thanks for your reply.
The problem here is: After the scan is done, there is no popup which asks me to insert the channels! The screen simply disappears and a popup apperars which asks me whether I want to start the Backend. No chance to insert the found channels. Maybe a problem with the database?

When I close the backend, a configuration problem is shown: TV-Card 1 (None) No visible channels found.

I am using Astra-1 19,2E
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I might have been a bit unclear. Please check the channel scan options before the scan is done. Uncheck the "Logical channel numbers required" and uncheck the "Complete channel data required" option. The options are used for post processing the raw scan results after the scan has been done to filter out unwanted channels. It could just be that all found channels are filtered out.
If this still fails we need to have a look at the log files.
Ray01
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Ray01 »

Tried that, but it also did not work. No possibility to save the channels.

Also tried: mythtv-setup -v chanscan --loglevel=debug, but the log does not give me any usefull information.

So I fear mythtv is not compatible with OctopusNet.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Just for my curiosity, can you please post the complete output of "mythtv-setup -v chanscan --loglevel=debug" someplace from where it can be downloaded, e.g. pastebin? Maybe it is something simple.
Ray01
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Ray01 »

You have a private message.
Ray01
Newcomer
Germany

Post by Ray01 »

Hi, thanks for your reply by PM.

I found the solution. Starting the scan with sudo did the job. Again, there was no popup asking me to save the channels, but when I tried to import the last scan, the channels were there.

I am running mythtv under Linux Mint and the installation of mythtv was done by

sudo apt-get install mythtv

I have no idea why saving the channels was not possible without sudo, because everything else works fine when I run the system under the normal user.

Nevertheless, now I can start to get familiar with Mythtv.

A final question: Is it possible to sort the channels and renumber them?

Best regards and many thanks for your great support!
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Great that it now works for you!
To be honest, I do not really know why it should need to run with sudo. Most likely the packages are installed with user mythtv and you are possibly running mythtv-setup as yourself. This does usually work but then you should add yourself to group mythtv and user mythtv to the group that you are.

About sorting channels, you cannot specify a permanent sorting order. You can sort the presentation of the channels in the Channel Editor of mythtv-setup on channel number, channel name, frequency, and transport ID but this has no relation to what is shown in the guide. Ordering in the guide is done by channel number.
In the mythtv-setup Channel Editor you can change the channel numbers and the visibility of the channels. It is also possible to add channels to channel group Favorites, or to define your own channel group and add channels to that and then set that channel group as default for the guide.
The channels on Astra-1 do not have logical channel numbers (i.e. a numbering that starts at 1 or 101 and that makes sense to the users) so the mpeg-2 service ID is used as default channel number.
Channel number changes are semi-permanent; if you scan again then they keep the values they have. Only if you delete all channels and do a new scan they get their original values again.
Editing the channels can be done with mythtv-setup but with the latest master there is also a brand new web interface on port 6744 of the backend that can be used for this.
All the above and more is documented in the Wiki page https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning

Enjoy!