Myth deletes recordings when moved between storage directories in the same storage group

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mjurgens
Newcomer
Australia

Myth deletes recordings when moved between storage directories in the same storage group

Post by mjurgens »

I think I may be misunderstanding how myth uses storage directories. Let me run through the specific case.

I have the default storage group only. It is configured with two directories as follows:
/s/tv/myth
/var/tmp/mythtv

I record some shows. I now have a handful of files in /s/tv/myth. If I want to remove this storage directory (but not the files) this page: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories seems to tell me that I can use an OS native file move and myth will just find the files - refer this section "you can move these files from one storage group to another with a regular filesystem move" on that page.

So I do this:
mv s/tv/myth/* /var/tmp/mythtv
when that completes all my files are in /var/tmp/mythtv and no files in /s/tv/myth and the frontend can seem to find the files and play them back.
So all good so far.

However, within a few minutes, myth deletes all the files I just moved and /var/tmp/mythtv now only contains the files that were already there and /s/tv/myth still contains nothing. I have not even removed the storage directory (/s/tv/myth) from the group yet.

Why is myth deleting the files I just moved?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Myth deletes recordings when moved between storage directories in the same storage group

Post by paulh »

I think the only reason Myth will delete a recording is because it's been deleted in the UI so is marked for removal or it's auto expired to make room for new recordings. It may also delete a recording if you have said keep say 10 episodes of a show and you have 10 or more episodes already.

Is there plenty of disc space on the partition where you are moving the file too? It could just be short of space and they are auto expiring to make space for future recordings :?: There is a setting to reserve some extra free space for any non Myth stuff sharing the same partition so you need to take that into account as well.
mjurgens
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Myth deletes recordings when moved between storage directories in the same storage group

Post by mjurgens »

I think you got it. I had not considered the automatic disk space management which was set to keep at least 200GB free and the amount from on the SSD (/var/tmp/mythtv) was only 150GB - hence it would have been cleaned up immediately.

Thanks for suggestion