[SOLVED] IR Remote suddenly misbehaving

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gpw928
Junior
Australia

[SOLVED] IR Remote suddenly misbehaving

Post by gpw928 »

Hi,

I'm running a version of MythTV built from source going back to 30.0+fixes.20190821.

The client and server are co-hosted on a Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) system, patched regularly.

This week, the IR Remote has suddenly started misbehaving. It uses the Linux kernel IR drivers (not LIRC).

When the IR Remote is first used after several hours non-viewing, it functions as expected. But after sustained use, usually scrolling through the TV guide, the response to key-presses stops. It feels like I am experiencing a time-out function, because if I wait 10 seconds, or so, I can get it to respond to the next key press. But have to wait another 10 seconds for the next key-press to work. I can see the IR receiver is detecting the key presses, as it winks red. Eventually, 10 seconds is not enough, and I have to wait much longer, minutes... The USB keyboard remains usable at all times.

The logs are cluttered with mountains of indecipherable stuff, and I can't correlate a button press failure to any particular log entry.

I'm hoping that some recent patch to Linux has caused this.

Is it a known issue?

Thanks.
Last edited by gpw928 on Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpw928
Junior
Australia

[SOLVED] Re: IR Remote suddenly misbehaving

Post by gpw928 »

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but in the interest of contributing to the "acquired knowledge"...

The problem was due to slow battery failure on the IR handset. The symptoms were even consistent with that.