[Solved] WinTV-QuadHD PCIe unable to get channel lock on HD channels (UK Freeview)

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

g1bwt
Junior
Great Britain

[Solved] WinTV-QuadHD PCIe unable to get channel lock on HD channels (UK Freeview)

Post by g1bwt »

Computer - motherboard Gigabyte B450M H (BIOS up-to-date), Kubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor, MythTV Version : 31.0+fixes.202201201649.4f7953f6ee~ubuntu20.04.1, kernel version 5.13.0-27-generic #29~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 14 00:32:30 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have used the WinTV-QuadHD PCIe card for about a year using the b-rad-NDi PPA with no problem. I decided that I would like to try the latest Ubuntu kernel as it was more up-to-date security wise.
The Mythtv system detects the card and gives me 4 tuners. I can watch the SD channels on live TV and recording them no problem with the mythfrontend. Unfortunately, when I select an HD channel, I get the error that it cannot get a lock and times out on both live TV and recordings.
I can select the HD channel using kaffeine with the Mythtv system stopped.
I have tried running the channel editor again, have set the Region ID to 2 and Bouquet ID to 272 in the Video Source and have set it to europe-west for use off of the Sandy Heath UK transmitter. I have set the time outs to 10000 on all cards.
I have the dma_reset workaround in the /etc/modprobe.d directory and have tried it with and without the workaround.

I was wondering if HD channels will work with the 5.13 kernel? I haven't found anything online with the searches I have made.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if there is any other info you require.

Thanks.

Kevin
Last edited by g1bwt on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: WinTV-QuadHD PCIe unable to get channel lock on HD channels (UK Freeview)

Post by kmdewaal »

As far as the kernel and the drivers are concerned it should not matter if it is SD or HD, only when the video stream is decoded it becomes different.
What could matter is DVB-T vs. DVB-T2 and usually HD is broadcast on DVB-T2. FIrst thing that comes to the mind is indeed the dma_reset_workaround setting but you mention that you have tested that already.
Questions:
- What is the dmesg output? No errrors there?
- Can you make a recording of a program transmitted in HD? It could be that it is a playback issue and not a tuner/recording issue.
- What is the MythTV version?
You can also try the following:
- Create a new Video Source
- Connect your capture card(s) to the new Video Source
- Do a scan
And see if that works.
g1bwt
Junior
Great Britain

Re: WinTV-QuadHD PCIe unable to get channel lock on HD channels (UK Freeview)

Post by g1bwt »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am using the mythbuntu/31 ppa for Mythtv.
I couldn't see any errors that leapt out to me. What I did do was create a new video source with a new name. After setting it all up, the HD channels worked fine, so all good.

Unfortunately, this morning, after checking that it was all still working with the standard kernel (both live and recorded HD), I then thought about getting rid of the b-rad-NDi PPA completely. I used ppa-purge to remove the PPA and rebooted.
Unfortunately the live TV couldn't get any lock on any channels. I then re-installed the b-rad-NDi PPA with the latest kernel and rebooted. Still nothing :x
Then I realised that purging the PPA had also removed the linux-firmware-hauppauge. Reinstalling that gave me a working mythtv on all counts using either the mediatree kernel or the standard Ubuntu one. This means that I still need the firmware from the PPA, unless it's available elsewhere?

Kevin
g1bwt
Junior
Great Britain

Re: [Solved] WinTV-QuadHD PCIe unable to get channel lock on HD channels (UK Freeview)

Post by g1bwt »

Found this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2278&p=11182&hilit=PCIe#p11182 which detailed how to install the firmware without the PPA. Now all good.
Thanks.

Kevin