[Solved] Tuners errored?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

drifting
Junior
Great Britain

[Solved] Tuners errored?

Post by drifting »

Hi all.

Bit mystified.
I have built a new server as I felt it was time. I have two TBS Sat cards which were recognised by Xbuntu, with the Mythbuntu control panel.
With the backend setup the tuners appear, and I can scan for channels fine. However when I run the frontend, and go to the status page, it just says "errored" on each of them?
Not quite sure where to look next, suggestions?

Paul.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Tuners errored?

Post by kmdewaal »

Advice as given by bill6502 in another thread:
Also, verify the group assigned in /dev and the groups that your user and user mythtv belong to:

ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter?/dvr? ; grep video /etc/group # I changed my 'ls' to get more tuners.

My devices are in group video and both users belong to that group.
It could just be that you ran mythtv-setup as root and that the tuners cannot be accessed by mythbackend when it runs as user mythtv.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked for being a member of the video group, and yes the user is in there.

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 Jan 17 20:15 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 6 Jan 17 20:15 /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
video:x:44:mythtv,john

You mention Mythtv-setup, no idea is the answer to that, I used the mythbuntu control panel to install, assuming it would have used the user I ran it under? Any other thoughts?

Paul.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I do not know much about the Mythbuntu control panel, it could be that you need help from somebody else on this forum.
I do expect that the Mythbuntu control panel does start mythtv-setup with which you can then do the configuration of the backend.
You can have a look at the WIki guide https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning for all information about how to configure the cards and how to scan for channels.
About TBS cards. I do have a TBS satellite card and to make that work I need to download and compile the drivers from tbsdtv.com because the TBS drivers are not in the Linux kernel. However, if you can scan for channels then this indicates that your tuners do work.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Some notes about Mythbuntu and MCP:

When installing the backend using a Mythbuntu PPA, the backend will run as user mythtv. For some tasks, it is better to run MythTV Backend Setup (mythtv-setup) as user mythtv. MCP will run mythtv-setup as the session user by default, and it provides an option to run mythtv-setup as user mythtv. MCP will not run mythtv-setup as root.

Other than launching mythtv-setup, MCP does not currently have the ability to assist with configuring a tuner card.
Ted | My blog
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Thanks for the clarification on MCP, must admit I have never has this issue before. Cannot work out what exactly has caused this. But what is worse, no idea how to cure it ! :-)
As for the note on the TBS cards, I did indeed compile the drivers and install from the TBS site, missed that part out, as I assumed as I could tune ok that is was not a driver issue.

Paul.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Mythbuntu and the mythbuntu control panel were dropped in 2016. The last version to have supported it would have been v0.28. Is this a v0.28 or earlier version of MythTV? If it is v29 or newer and you have obtained a mythbuntu control panel from 2016, then it likely does not work, since it has not been maintained since 2016. Preferably configure the backend using Linux and mythtv-setup.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Oh really?
I thought the panel was a much later version? as the original had stopped, and this replaced it. Well so the Mythtv website says?
Confused now!

Paul.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Mythbuntu Control Center has been replaced by Mythbuntu Control Panel.

viewtopic.php?t=3789
Don't forget the Wiki.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Ah good, that is the one I am using, thanks for clarifying.
This problem is defo somewhere else, as I have just done a clean install on another machine, with another tuner, and its working.
Wish I could get to the bottom of this, but it is really beyond my undestanding.

Paul.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Sorry for the confusion - I was not aware of the Mythbuntu Control Panel.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Honestly not a problem, had me worried for a moment there.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The tuner "errored" status shown by the frontend is reported by mythbackend.
Can you provide a log file of the startup of mythbackend?
You can make a very informative log file with the following command:
mythbackend -v record,channel --loglevel=debug --logpath=/tmp
This gives then a log file /tmp/mythbackend<date+time>... and please post that. If needed, gzipped for size.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

thanks for the replies

Think you just got to the core of the issue!
Would you believe I just ran that command from the terminal as the user. Lo and behold the tuners are now there! I thought the backend was run with the user mythtv ? So I must have messed up somewhere with permissions I assume?

Paul.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

1st guess is a confdir issue. You should see a line containing: Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
in it, when run normally. When run as above, expect another user's path, e.g. /home/you/.mythtv.

Then be sure both have a config.xml file and both have the same information. Especially, this:

Code: Select all

<LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
should be there or it can be missing or empty in both. Changing the hostname
will can make tuners and other things appear to disappear.