[Solved] Retaining channel names on migration

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Here in the UK I am migrating my 0.27 system from AMD with Hauppauge PCI/USB tuners to a new box running 30 with a quad HDHomerun.

On my trial run I copied a selection of recordings, imported the database, changed the hostname in the database, removed the old sources and channels, created a new source and did a fresh channel scan with the HDHR.
That all works apart from the fact that Channel ids have changed. eg BBC One was 1001 but is now 10001. All is working fine except that the imported recordings now show the old channel id instead of the name of the channel.

Is it possible to do the import and retain the old channel names?

Phil
Last edited by PhilB on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Retaining channel names on migration

Post by kmdewaal »

Try using a v31 box (or master). It could just be that if you keep the old source and do not delete the channels, you will keep the old channel numbers and hence the channel names will still be shown. This could work even after you do a Full Scan.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Thanks for the reply - that works fine.
My concern was that the new system would try to record from the missing video cards but this worked:
I loaded 31 then imported the database and changed hostname.
I then used backend setup, deleted all capture cards (the old Hauppauges) but left the video source. Set up the HD Homeruns with a new video source and did a channel scan - all now appears to be working and the old recordings still have their channel names attached.
I have run a small perl script to list all the channels used by old recordings so can delete all the old unused channels for the sake of tidiness.
Thanks again.
Phil