jfs troubles with Myth

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

jfs troubles with Myth

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Hello,
I formatted my main myth storage area for recordings as jfs, because I saw it recommended on the basis that it deletes files faster.

It does do that, but unfortunately about every day and a half the jfs partition unmounts itself. When I try to re-mount it, I get the dreaded, "bad fs type, bad superblock" failure message. Then I run

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda3
and it's fixed immediately, I can re-mount it, and go on with life. Then 2 days later it happens again.
I tried moving all my recordings to a completely different drive using dd, again formatted as jfs, but the problem still occurs, so I'm fairly certain it's not the hardware. All the other ext3 partitions on the drive are fine.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? And if it's just a bad idea to use jfs, what would you recommend instead?
TIA
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: jfs troubles with Myth

Post by kmdewaal »

I do not know about jfs but I am completely happy with XFS for the storage disks.
I have mounted the disks like this in /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

UUID="2713cb59-7982-4fed-8b7b-04f8e63d7ebb"     /mnt/tv1 xfs     auto,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,allocsize=64m  0 0
Instead of the UUID disk partition identification you can of course also use /dev/sda1 etc but using the UUID makes it independent of the disk order.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: jfs troubles with Myth

Post by paulh »

XFS is a good choice for storage groups I've always used it and never have any problems. It can like JFS delete files faster as well although if you turn on slow deletes so things like expired or deleted recordings slowly get truncated before the file it deleted then the problems cause by filesystems like EXT2 where they can take a long time to delete large files becomes less of a problem.