mythtv-setup version 31 Fedora 34 Schedules Direct

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dhighley
Junior
United States of America

mythtv-setup version 31 Fedora 34 Schedules Direct

Post by dhighley »

System rebuild required a new install of Mythtv. I'm so far unable to divine with version 31 how to get Schedules Direct to work. In mythtv-setup for video source I only get two choices for the guide; EIT or no grabber. Neither of which tell mythfilldatabase to use the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber. I have created a configuration file and put it in the /etc/mythtv directory named the same as the video source with the .xmltv extension added to the name. So I think the issue is not being able define the Listings Grabber in the mythtv-setup for video source.
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Re: mythtv-setup version 31 Fedora 34 Schedules Direct

Post by dhighley »

I almost forgot to say that the Mythtv install is the rpmfusion packages.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The choices EIT or no grabber is what you get if the package xmltv is not installed. Try "sudo dnf install xmltv" and then there will be more choices.
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

That got me farther but now I need to know what Schedules Direct xmltv file format is. I have searched and do not find it documented anywhere. I'm getting the following error:
parseFile Malformed XML file, missing </tv> element, at line 1, Premature end of document. Unlike another person said there fix was to copy the file from a backup I do not have that luxury.
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

The grabber setup in mythtv-setup keeps doing an error exit 0 after the prompt to choose lineups. I have tried all choices default no, yes, all, none and get the same failure. It does create the SD.xmltv file.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I haven't recently struggled with XMLTv setup, but in the past when I saw errors like "parseFile Malformed XML file, missing </tv> element, at line 1, Premature end of document" I came to understand that this was due to not running mythtv-setup as user mythtv. FWIW, probably nothing.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

I'll assume you've been here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Sched ... rect_Setup

I didn't setup the grabber from mythtv-setup though. And I did execute all commands as
user mythtv.

An example of the files in play here are at: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508

If your system uses MYTHCONFDIR the locations above can be relative to that. The location of
the database is stored in the XXX.xmltv file and can really be anywhere, but the convention is
database=/home/mythtv/.xmltv/SchedulesDirect.DB (you don't HAVE to use the SQLite version.)

As for the format you asked about, run mythfilldatabase with -v xmltv,system
The grabber command will appear in the output. Run that directly from the
command line, again as user mythtv, and take a look at the file in /tmp.

Code: Select all

$ tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --config-file '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/OTA.xmltv' --output /tmp/mythOVqVUw
$ head /tmp/mythOVqVUw 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Note: This data has been downloaded from Schedules Direct, and use of the data is restricted by the subscriber agreement to non-commercial use with open source projects.  Refer to the Schedules Direct subscriber agreement for more information -->
<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">

<tv generator-info-name="tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite" generator-info-url="https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite" source-info-name="Schedules Direct" source-info-url="https://www.schedulesdirect.org">
 <channel id="I117193.json.schedulesdirect.org">
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

The mythtv-setup program still errors out on configuring the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber but it does create configuration file. Since that file is not xml in spite of the extension name that made me wonder why I was seeing an xml parser failure. The answer is I configured it to use a cache file that I had previously created using the grabber script by its self. So reran mythtv-setup to change the location and name of the cache file. As I said mythtv-setup still did an error exit but now mythfilldatabase runs and is updating the lineup information. I have not recorded anything yet but it appears to be functioning now. I will note that the mythfrontend has no audio with the Fedora audio change. Thank you to everyone who responsed and helped.
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

Still not there yet with the set up. I'm using an HDHomerun Prime tuner, mythtv-setup never prompted for a tuner. So I tested by scheduling two recordings at the same time and one failed as both recordings attempted to use the same tuner.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

In mythtv-setup --> Capture Cards, I pressed enter with new capture card highlighted, then pressed the down key to highlight new capture card, and pressed enter. I then selected HDHomeRun networked tuner, pressed the right arrow key, pressed enter with use HDHomeRun... selected to enable it, and in Recording Options, deselected EIT scanning. I repeated the above step three times for the three available tuners.
Ted | My blog
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

That is what I did. Before this install there was a field to say which tuner you were configuring. If you run the HDHomeRun Config you still need to select which tuner to use.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The capture card creation process in mythtv-setup really has to be repeated for each tuner in your HDHomeRun, the HDHomeRun box itself being identifed by its IP address. This is described a bit more lengthy in the Wiki in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners.
dhighley
Junior
United States of America

Post by dhighley »

I don't know how much clearer I can say I did setup the capture card and input connections three times. When they all look identical how does it tell the HDHomeRun Prime which tuner is being used?

Then the grab of the schedule data is still failing with the following error:
(parseFile) - Malformed XML file, missing </tv> element, at line 1, Premature end of document. No cache file is being created.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

You must have come from a MythTV release earlier than v30. Here's the commit that
changed how the tuners are used: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/57a0ad8
The key is that it's now possible to share tuners between applications. You no longer
select specific tuners, they're in a pool.

Run mythfilldatabase as I suggested back on the 19th. I understood that you said it was working OK.
You can re-run the grabber command in the MFDB log and even append the --debug switch for more
clues.

I use the SQLite version, so won't comment further ['cause it may be of no value].
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Just to be sure, I would like to mention that there should be only one video source and that all 3 tuners/capture cards are to be connected to that video source.