Guide & Channel keeps changing

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Guide & Channel keeps changing

Post by nichos »

Hi all. I have an OTA setup and have 1 channel giving me issues.

When I run mythfilldatabase the guide data is correct. However, as time goes on, 1 of my channels changes icons and the guide data to a Spanish channel I don't think I get.

I'm using schedules direct, and the data from them is correct. I can correct this by running mythfilldatabase again, (and this happens nightly) but I of course don't want to run that every 10 minutes.

Thanks in advance!
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Guide & Channel keeps changing

Post by kmdewaal »

Maybe there are two channels with the same channel number and the same callsign. These are seen as one channel by the Program Guide but which one of the two is shown is unpredictable.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

Thanks for the reply kmdewaal. Where can I see that? I should have mentioned that I've deleted the input and done a full scan before.
Should I be looking in the channel editor?
thanks again
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Yes, in the mythtv-setup Channel Editor you can view all channels and change callsign etc. if needed.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

No luck. I deleted every channel in the group that I'm not using. I renamed the channel from WJXX-HD to WJXX.
Any logs I could check?
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

I verified that its not coming from OTA by checking another TV with a built in tuner.
Not sure if that helps.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The new icon and the changed guide data must be coming from SD via mythfilldatabase. As far as I know the MythTV channels and the SD channels are connected together with the XMLTVID. My guess is that your offending channel has a wrong XMLTVID. You can check with the mythtv-setup Channel Editor the value that your offending channel uses.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

Thanks @kmdewaal I checked in the setup and it looks correct. I've also deleted and rescanned the channels, still no go (but the reason for the slow response.)

Whats weird is when I run mythfilldatabase it corrects itself. Sometime between fetches, its getting wrong data.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

Unfortunately, I'm still stumped with this :?

I'm attaching a screenshot from mythweb. You can see the icon for "canal 6", and the data is wrong. What's also weird, is ch 25_2 is a local weather channel, but also has wrong guide data.

Anyone have any further advice?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

You can check if EIT is really disabled. This is described in the Wiki in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... e_EIT_scan.
The EIT can overwrite the guide data received from Schedules Direct but it cannot overwrite the icon.

Check that you are using the latest software versions both for MythTV and MythWeb. Note that MythWeb had a bug in which it also showed deleted channels and this bug has only recently been fixed. If mythfrontend has a correct guide and MythWeb does not then this could be the cause.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

Thanks kmdewaal, I posted the screenshot of mythweb since it was easier, but it's definitely the same on mythfrontend.

Here's my settings for the problem channel in mythsetup:

I'm running out of ideas, short of wiping the whole system and re-installing everything.
nichos
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by nichos »

Last chance, anyone have any ideas? Of not, I'll be wiping it out this weekend :(
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

You could try setting mythfilldatabase to not run automatically in mythtv-setup, and set mythfilldatabase to run using a cron job. If you try this, remember to have the cron job run as user mythtv.
Ted | My blog
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

All I can say is this is not normal. There is something wrong with your set up but exactly what is a mystery. Like kmdewaal says it does sound like you have both EIT and XMLTV data gathering enabled and somehow they are trampling on one another.

If you don't use EIT then if it's not already disabled do it at the card/tuner level for all cards/tuners so that is completely ruled out.

You can tell mythfilldatabase to not update you channels with --only-update-guide that should I believe only update the guide data and leave icons and channel updates alone.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

I do not really know a lot about SD, but if I follow the thoughts of heyted it could just be that the mythfilldatabase that runs automatically has a different configuration file (mapping of XMLTVID to actual channels) compared to the mythfilldatabase that you run manually.