[Resolved][Ubuntu] Frontend infinitely resurects itself upon closing when the backend is inaccessible

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ulmus-scott
Junior
United States of America

[Resolved][Ubuntu] Frontend infinitely resurects itself upon closing when the backend is inaccessible

Post by ulmus-scott »

MythTV version 31 is installed on Xubunutu 21.04 or 20.04 using the mythbuntu ppa. I am posting this here, and not on github, because I believe this is a packaging issue.

When I launch the frontend without the backend running, it displays the loading bar, but when I try to exit, either before or after it times out, it thinks the frontend has crashed, so it relaunches. This obviously creates an inescapable loop, which is annoying.

Killing mythfrontend via xfce4-taskmanager does break the loop, but oddly mythfrontend.real doesn't show up in xfce4-taskmanager while gnome-system-monitor shows both.

This behavior is due to how mythfrontend is packaged on Ubuntu, i.e. mythfrontend is a script that calls mythfrontend.real and the default .desktop file calls the script with --service.

Adding exit code 130 to the list in the script breaks the loop.

Alternatively, /usr/share/applications/mythtv.desktop could be modified to call mythfrontend without the --service parameter.

Edit:
Change to mythfrontend.sh was merged: https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/pull/95