MythTV Live TV not working on HDHomeRun

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

marks7389
Newcomer
Great Britain

MythTV Live TV not working on HDHomeRun

Post by marks7389 »

Hi All,

I'm a long time user of MythTV (about 15 years) and am in the process of replacing my 10 year old setup with a Raspberry Pi 4 running MythTV Lite (v31) on a combined front end / back end and a new HDHomeRun Connect tuner box HDHR5-2DT .

Everything is working well, except Live TV which refuses to start, the backend reporting:

Code: Select all

May  1 14:00:55 galadriel mythbackend: mythbackend[2582]: I TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:4242 (TuningNewRecorder) TVRec[1]: TuningNewRecorder - CreateRecorder()
May  1 14:00:55 galadriel mythbackend: mythbackend[2582]: E TVRecEvent recorders/recorderbase.cpp:220 (SetStrOption) RecBase[1](1241E1FE): SetStrOption(...recordingtype): Option not in profile.
May  1 14:00:56 galadriel mythbackend: mythbackend[2582]: I TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:1057 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
The database was copied over and upgraded from my old system (running v0.27) with the old DVB capture cards deleted and new ones created for the HDHomeRun. I've looked through previous reports of similar issues and tried a number of things, including:

*Delete and recreate the recording profiles
*Delete and recreate the capture cards
*Upgraded the HDHomeRun to the latest firmware (20210224)

All to no avail. Still the same error. Recordings work fine, but no Live TV.

What's really odd is that (as per https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Recording_Profiles) the recordingtype option isn't even valid for the HDHomeRun Recorders profile group, so it's not surprising that the option isn't in the profile. I tried adding it to the codecparams table for the relevant profiles but that made no difference either.

Reports of this error seem to be a recurring theme for HDHomeRun recorders, but I'm not seeing any concrete solutions. Does this look like a bug for which I should file a bug report?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: MythTV Live TV not working on HDHomeRun

Post by kmdewaal »

I think you can ignore the recording type option. Check the storage group configuration. It could be that there are different locations configured for recording and for live TV and that it is not possible to write to the location for live TV.
marks7389
Newcomer
Great Britain

Re: MythTV Live TV not working on HDHomeRun

Post by marks7389 »

kmdewaal wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 pm
I think you can ignore the recording type option. Check the storage group configuration. It could be that there are different locations configured for recording and for live TV and that it is not possible to write to the location for live TV.
Apologies. The back end error was a red herring. Same error occurs on recordings but it doesn't actually prevent it from working.

The issue was that I didn't have a storage group set up for Live TV. It was trying to use the normal recordings folder, but was failing.