Poor Quality in MythTV compared to VLC

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jmoney1217
Newcomer
United States of America

Poor Quality in MythTV compared to VLC

Post by jmoney1217 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi all,

I am in the process of gathering a bunch of test data to try and narrow down what might be causing my issues, but I wanted to start by posting here in case anyone has ideas.

I have an HDHomeRun PLUS (Model: HDTC-2US), and it's attached to a flat antenna in my attic. When I watch live TV via VLC on Linux, the quality is brilliant. Before I got the HDHR I used a PCI card based capture solution with MythTV, and I have no complaints. Quality of recordings and Live TV was perfect, I didn't miss my cable box at all. I have sinced moved to a city closer to Chicago, but with large leafy trees. For that reason, I invested in the HDHR so that I could put the antenna in the attic, like I did before, but have the backend in the basement. Ever since hooking up my HDHR, I cannot seem to get it to play nicely with my MythTV setup. I'll switch from a perfect VLC stream of a football game, into MythTV Live TV and the same channel is artifacted and glitchy. This is the same on my backend PC, or on my remote front end box.

In case it matters, my backend runs Ubuntu 14.04, MythTV 0.27.4, and my HDHR has the 20141025beta1 firmware. The PC has 2 GB RAM, a Core 2 Duo, and a big raid array of HDDs. The front end is an Intel Core i3 NUC, with 4GB RAM, and Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated... Just not sure what link in the chain might be the issue.

Thanks!
Jared

sjuk
Junior
Germany

Re: Poor Quality in MythTV compared to VLC

Post by sjuk » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Does the problem occour only to LiveTV or is it the same for recordings?
Can you please post the quality-settings of mythfrontend?

jmoney1217
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jmoney1217 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:31 pm

The problem occurs on recordings as well. Also the recordings are corrupted when playing back on multiple devices.

sjuk
Junior
Germany

Post by sjuk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I see the following links in the chain which you can check:

1.) Check your master backend locally (not over network).
1.a) Run mythfrontend, run vlc and compare the result.
1.b) If the vlc output is better than the mythfrontend output check the local mythfrontend quality configuration. If the output are the same the problem is not on the backend.

2.) Check your frontend over the network.
2.a) Run mythfrontend, run vlc and compare the result.
2.b) If the vlc output is better than the mythfrontend output check the remote mythfrontend quality configuration.

Perhaps you can share the results with us. So we can assist you by further investigations...

stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuartm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Another possibility to consider is whether you've got the "Deblocking filter" enabled in the Video Profile you are using. This isn't necessary for all video sources, but is definitely required for others. Without the deblocking filter you may see macro-block artifacts which could be what you are describing.