Amen to that.Mythtv -- still the best and easily the most annoying DVR solution in the world -- but think of how much you will learn!!
Moderator: Forum Moderators
I was using xubuntu 18.04.5 and MythTV Version : v30.0 from ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu bionic InRelease
HDHomeRun PRIME, Model: HDHR3-CC, Firmware: 20210210 and HDHomeRun CONNECT Model: HDHR4-2US Firmware: 20210210
The back end computer is an old Supermicro X8SIL with 32gb of ECC ram and a Xeon X3470.
First, I ran mythconverg_backup.pl to make a safe copy of my database. I learned how to do this here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore.
Next, I built XMLTV from source as instructed by the wiki here
After installing xmltv using apt, I ran “sudo apt remove xmltv” — which left all the dependencies in place and enabled me to build and install xmltv from source — AND eliminated the chance of running the wrong version. May not be necessary but I had a devil of time getting mythtv to find the right grabbers.
Here’s what I ended up with:
Code: Select all
scott@mythtv:~$ tv_grab_zz_sdjson --version XMLTV module version 1.0.0 This is tv_grab_zz_sdjson version 1.0.0
Code: Select all
scott@mythtv:~$ tv_find_grabbers /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite|Multinational (Schedules Direct JSON web services with SQLite DB) /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_na_dd|North America (Data Direct) /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson|Schedules Direct JSON API /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_na_tvmedia|North America (XMLTVListings.com by TVMedia)
I want to be able to run the mythtv-setup as my user Scott and also enable this freaky program to run what it must as user mythtv when it needs to.
So down the rabbit hole!
When using the mythtv-setup in ten-foot mode, I go to video sources -> comcast (what I called this before when using Schedules Direct Data Direct ) -> Listing Grabber -> and select Schedules Direct JSON API. Then right arrow to configure.
If you were running XMLTV installed from the 18.04 repo you might see this message:
No idea what it means or if it causes problems. I did not see again when I ran a more updated XMLTV I built from source.Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo
The next fun thing, you will see a sentence that says:
And it is cut off. Says “can make the migration easier.”If you are migrating from a different grabber selecting an alternate channel ID format can make
If you make it through this UI, typing variable answers in the box when needed, you are rewarded with the message:
Unix programmers probably know that this is good news. Google for it: The shell script ran successfully.*** Exited with Status 0 ***
The configuration process should have created an .xmltv directory and a config file in your user’s .mythtv directory that matches the video source name you created in the GUI – in my case comcast.xmltv
So I edited the comcast.xmltv config file to change the location of tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache
Now looks like this …
Then I copied tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache and comcast.xmltv to my mythtv user directories and changed the ownership and permissions.cache=/home/mythtv/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache
Code: Select all
sudo cp /home/scott/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache /home/mythtv/.xmltv/ sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /home/mythtv/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache sudo chmod 777 /home/mythtv/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache
Code: Select all
sudo cp comcast.xmltv /home/mythtv/.mythtv/ sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /home/mythtv/.mythtv/comcast.xmltv sudo chmod 644 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/comcast.xmltv
Many of the old timers will repeat that the backend setup must be run as the mythtv user – and I tried to do this but could not succeed that way. Later I was able to upgrade to v31 and build those Raspberry Pi 4 front ends – they work ok – little buggy but workable.
Editorial remarks of limited value:
I’m a typical joe user, and I like to think of my “mythtv master backend” as a “program” that I installed on one of my “computers.” I still don’t fully get the Linux looking glass world where you install “a program” to record tv shows and whoa — it requires a myriad of other odd bits of software to run and its own secret handshake user account to work, and yeah its new version is now useless without this third-party xmltv thing. I guess Schedules Direct data direct is only useful for a few users in the USA and needs to go. For people who know what they are doing, no big deal, simply compile the latest version of xmltv from source. And yeah, for the configuration process to work you need run the setup that ran fine before as your sudo user (scott) as the mythtv user this time — maybe mythtv does not need to concern itself with being easy to configure as long as it works for a few people in the know. I have a feeling a lot of people will just give up rather than do all this jazz. Thanks to everyone who helped me! Hope this thread gives so good clues to others who are having trouble.