Understanding Commercial Detection

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sdmatt
Newcomer
United States of America

Understanding Commercial Detection

Post by sdmatt »

Hi,

I'm a total noob and I'm trying to get commercial detection working on MythTV v31.

If I understand the process correctly, MythTV doesn't remove commercials. It creates flags that are stored in a database. These flags are used by the MythTV frontend to skip the detected commercials during playback. This playback skip behavior can be set to auto, or individual commercials can be skipped by hitting Z. (Am I good so far??)

I am struggling to find the commercial detection options. The wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection) states it should be under General > General (Jobs) > Commercial detection method in mythfrontend. In v31, I simply don't have this option. I have a Setup > General menu, but this doesn't have any commercial options. The wiki also makes it sound like a frontend option rather than a backend one. Is this truly the case?

Once I am able to change my commercial detection options will this apply to existing recordings?

What type of schedule are commercial detection jobs run, and where are the job scheduling options?

Thanks for any help :-)
sdmatt
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Understanding Commercial Detection

Post by sdmatt »

OK.. found options in v31

setup > video > General (jobs)

Still working on my setup
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

The wiki also makes it sound like a frontend option rather than a backend one. Is this truly the case?
There are three parts to commercial flagging. One is the general commflagging job, which is what you found in the backend setup. Next, there is the commflagging option that has to be set for the recording rule if you want flagging to start automatically. Finally, there are the playback options that affect how flagged commercials are treated during playback (auto-skip, put up a notice and do nothing else, or just do nothing.) Most likely, you'll find that there are so many false-positives auto-skipping is not a good option.
Once I am able to change my commercial detection options will this apply to existing recordings?
If a particular recording has not been processed, you can manually scan it by using the Menu key, then Job Options->Begin Commercial Detection.
What type of schedule are commercial detection jobs run, and where are the job scheduling options?
Commercial flagging jobs can be enabled for any type of schedule. It can be found in Post Processing->Commercial Flag New Recordings.
sdmatt
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by sdmatt »

Thanks Gribnif