[Fixed] Mythtv.app on AppleTV - playback controls not working

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

acodring
Newcomer
Canada

[Fixed] Mythtv.app on AppleTV - playback controls not working

Post by acodring »

[Edit: Pretty much within minutes of posting this I got a notification from the developer's AppleTV TestFlight account that a beta version of the app was available. It resolved the problem immediately. Apparently an Apple TV OS update broke something. Kudos to the dev for continuing to support this app and apologies to anyone who wasted brain cycles thinking about this on my behalf.]

I've been mostly using the 3rd party Mythtv.app on AppleTV in our house. I resolved stuttering not too long ago with a new mythbackend HDD and it seemed to be working great again until the last week.

Now, I can't control playback after I start watching a show. I wasn't paying close enough attention to know if it was an AppleTV, mythbackend, or ubuntu update that might have started the problem.

I can open the mythtv.app, view the list of programs, and select one for playback.
Playback works as expected at first but if I try to play/pause or skip it has no effect.
The UI does show that it knows I've pressed the remote trackpad, but playback just keeps going.
If I hit the Menu button it would normally take me back to the list of programs, but it only takes me back out to the AppleTV home screen.
If I re-open the mythtv.app it resumes playback immediately, even if I've rebooted mythtvbackend inbetween.
The only way to stop playback is to restart the AppleTV.

I thought it must be related to the Services API so I've been focused on troubleshooting on my backend machine - flailing around with things like - netstat; cat /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | grep Listening; and changing mythbackend setup IP settings. So far none of my changes have improved the situation.

I did notice that mysql was unhappy with the recordedseek table and that repair had failed so in the spirit of randomly flailing I started #mythutil --checkrecordings --fixseektable. It looks like that will take a while to finish...

Anyone have suggestions to direct my troubleshooting?

#sudo apt show mythtv
Package: mythtv
Version: 2:31.0+fixes.202010122044.eb3c84de5f~ubuntu18.04.1
Priority: optional
Section: graphics
Maintainer: MythTV Ubuntu Maintainers <ubuntu-mythtv@lists.ubuntu.com>
Installed-Size: 87.0 kB
Depends: default-mysql-server | virtual-mysql-server | mysql-server-5.7 | mysql-server-5.6 | mariadb-server, mythtv-database, mythtv-frontend, mythtv-backend, ntp | time-daemon | ntp-simple
Suggests: mythtv-doc
Download-Size: 78.6 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/31/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
Last edited by acodring on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hackman
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Mythtv.app on AppleTV - playback controls not working

Post by hackman »

A recent tvOS update broke the app. There is a new build of the MythTV app currently waiting for review by Apple that addresses the problem. Hopefully it will be released in coming days.
JoeSTKau
Newcomer
Australia

Re: [Fixed] Mythtv.app on AppleTV - playback controls not working

Post by JoeSTKau »

Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone is going to pick the development of the Apple TV App up as I believe the previous developer has dropped it (No update since November 2020)

Does the TVOS app still work? Does it have Live TV Streaming and EPG etc?

I have 4 Apple TVs in my house and tried a few different media centre options for Apple TV including plex, emby and jellyfish along with mythtv 32, FYI mythtv is the most stable operationally out of all of them, I am hoping there will be a version 33 in February 2023 that keeps that stability going.

If this TVOS app can be update and maybe enhanced by a new developer mythtv would be only the 5th media centre client that I know of on the App Store. the only reason the others are gaining traction is they are paying YouTube bloggers to do comparisons and reviews and tutorials etc which makes their apps show up more than mythtv.

If I knew a developer that could do this I would have asked, unfortunately I don't but just wanted to Ask the current status, planned/future and let everyone know my thoughts on the media centre market.
JoeSTKau
Newcomer
Australia

Post by JoeSTKau »

I just found another app on the Apple apo store for Myth TV Viewer developer is Rich Fellinger.

He has written a pretty good app from what I can tell unfortunately only for IOS and there are no support contact details.

Anyone now Rich and if he plans to release a TVOS version soon?
dochawk
Junior
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

It shouldn't be *too* difficult, and would seem to be a bigger market.

tvOS is *barely* forked for iOS.