[SOLVED]Channel Scan – Timed out, no channels

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Channel Scan – Timed out, no channels

Post by timmy527 »

Curiously watching, have the exact same config ( Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, WinTV-quadHD, and MythTV 0.31 ) and seeing the same behavior ( no channels, Kaffeine finding all the channels ). This is a new box being built to replace my 0.28 box on Ubuntu 16.04.7 which is currently running and seeing ALL the channels...
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The question is whether it are the changes in MythTV since 0.28 or the changes in the driver from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04 that cause this.
I suspect that the latest driver for the Hauppauge card does not support the DVBv3 calls anymore and only works with the latest DVBv5 calls.
MythtTV first does a DVBv3 call and if this fails it does the corresponding DVBv5 call, for compatibility with older cards/drivers.
The first error in the logs from hutsmythtv is about reading the signal strength and that is currently still being done with a DVBv3 call.
I've attached a patch that does read signal strength etc only with DVBv5 calls. If this does solve the issue then I have probably enough information to make a proper fix, so please try it.
The fix can be applied on the source tree with "git apply 20201108-dvbv5-only.patch" and then the "make; make install" again of course.
Attachments
20201108-dvbv5-only.patch
Use DVBv5 calls only
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
hutsmythtv
Junior
United States of America

Post by hutsmythtv »

Well I must not have done the build from source correctly. When I type "mythtv-setup", the system replies "Command 'mythtv-setup' not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install mythtv-backend"
I ran the steps for Ansible and that appeared to run correctly (see picture attached)?
When I ran "sudo make -j 4" it ran a long time, many lines scrolling down the screen. And "sudo make install" ran with no errors that I could see?
Is there a log that I can check?
Mike
Attachments
ansible_results.JPG
ansible_results.JPG (24.71 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

OK, you got already a long way! Here are the missing bits.
- The "make -j4" does not need a sudo because you do it as user mike, not as root. Same for the "make install".
- If the make fails then it stops with an error message
- You can capture the output of the "make -j4" by doing this: "make -j4 2>&1 | tee this_is_my_logfile"
- The "make install" copies mythtv-setup to ~/mythtv-master/usr/bin/mythtv-setup
- To make running easy do create a file with the following content:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#
INSTANCE=mythtv-master
#
PATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages
#
MYTHCONFDIR=$HOME/.mythtv/
#
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH MYTHCONFDIR PYTHONPATH
#
# [The End]
I do call this file setup.sh and then you need to add these definitions to your running shell

. ./setup.sh
To verify whether you get the mythtv-setup you want do this:

which mythtv-setup
and this should be ~/mythtv-master/usr/bin/mythtv-setup

Type mythtv-setup and this should then work.

Note: it could be that you need to delete (with sudo) everything in mythv-master/usr because you did once "sudo make install".

Enjoy!
Klaas.
timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by timmy527 »

Compiled with patch and installed, ran mythtv-setup ( prompted for a db update ) , ran a channel scan, no joy.

It had good signal strength for many of the channels , had lock , but never found any... will retry today to double check I didn't miss anything.

Not trying to highjack the thread, any logs I can provide?

Thx
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

At least there is now signal strength.... I would appreciate a log file of the complete scan done with the following debug options:

mythtv-setup -v channel,chanscan,record,siparser --loglevel=debug --logpath=.
N.B. The --logpath=. option will create a log file in the current directory.

Also please the content of the capturecard and the videosource table as reported by these mysql commands:

select * from capturecard
select * from videosource
hutsmythtv
Junior
United States of America

Post by hutsmythtv »

Klaas,

I'm not having as much luckI I have attached log1 for when I ran make j4 and log2 for running make install. I did notice that selecting "git checkout fixes/31" did not seem to error as much as "git checkout master"?

Thanks!
Mike
Attachments
log2.txt
(645 Bytes) Downloaded 70 times
log1.txt
(131.27 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Mike,

I cannot see an obvious cause of the compilation failure so here is how to compile it again from where I think that you are now.
Try the following, assuming your home directory is /home/mike

cd ~/mythtv-master/mythtv/mythtv
git pull
git checkout master
make distclean
./configure --prefix=/home/mike/mythv-master/usr
make 2>&1 | tee make-20201109.log
Doing just "make" instead of "make -j4" takes longer but the compilations are done in sequence instead of up to four in parallel and that makes it easier to make sense of the error message. If the make is OK then do the make install.

Hope this works,
Klaas.
timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by timmy527 »

Hi Klaas:
Thx for the help, here's the log file ( original 276KB gzip file split into 3 parts ) and mysql output.
I was surprised to see the log had lots and lots of " (GetSNRDVBv5) - DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Getting DVBv5 Frontend signal/noise ratio failed." messages, and additionally are there 16 tuners defined? I know I've told mythtv-setup numerous times to "delete ALL capture cards" ...

MySQL output:
mysql> select * from capturecard ;
+--------+----------+-----------------------------+-------------+-----------+----------+--------------+----------------+---------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------------+-------------+---------------+-----------------+----------------+----------------+---------------------+----------------+-----------------+------------------+----------+------------+--------+-----+----------+-------------+-----------+----------+-----------------+----------------+---------------+----------+-----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+-------------+----------+------------+
| cardid | parentid | videodevice | audiodevice | vbidevice | cardtype | defaultinput | audioratelimit | hostname | dvb_swfilter | dvb_sat_type | dvb_wait_for_seqstart | skipbtaudio | dvb_on_demand | dvb_diseqc_type | firewire_speed | firewire_model | firewire_connection | signal_timeout | channel_timeout | dvb_tuning_delay | contrast | brightness | colour | hue | diseqcid | dvb_eitscan | inputname | sourceid | externalcommand | changer_device | changer_model | tunechan | startchan | displayname | dishnet_eit | recpriority | quicktune | schedorder | livetvorder | reclimit | schedgroup |
+--------+----------+-----------------------------+-------------+-----------+----------+--------------+----------------+---------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------------+-------------+---------------+-----------------+----------------+----------------+---------------------+----------------+-----------------+------------------+----------+------------+--------+-----+----------+-------------+-----------+----------+-----------------+----------------+---------------+----------+-----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+-------------+----------+------------+
| 1 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | NULL | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input01 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
| 2 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | NULL | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input02 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
| 3 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | NULL | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input03 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
| 4 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | NULL | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input04 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
| 5 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input01 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 6 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input01 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 7 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input01 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 8 | 3 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input03 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 9 | 3 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input03 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 10 | 3 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input03 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 11 | 2 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input02 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 12 | 2 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input02 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 13 | 2 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input02 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 14 | 4 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input04 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 15 | 4 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input04 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
| 16 | 4 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | NULL | NULL | DVB | Television | NULL | ubuntu-home02 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 20000 | 20000 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | ATSC | 1 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Input04 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 0 |
16 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from videosource ;
+----------+--------------+-------------------+--------+-----------+----------+----------+--------+------------+------------+------------+-----------+---------------+
| sourceid | name | xmltvgrabber | userid | freqtable | lineupid | password | useeit | configpath | dvb_nit_id | bouquet_id | region_id | scanfrequency |
+----------+--------------+-------------------+--------+-----------+----------+----------+--------+------------+------------+------------+-----------+---------------+
| 1 | Over-the-Air | tv_grab_zz_sdjson | NULL | us-bcast | NULL | NULL | 0 | NULL | -1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
Attachments
mythtv-setup.20201110013052.5668.log.gz--partsaa.gz
(100 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
mythtv-setup.20201110013052.5668.log.gz--partsab.gz
(100 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
mythtv-setup.20201110013052.5668.log.gz--partsac.gz
(68.06 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
hutsmythtv
Junior
United States of America

Post by hutsmythtv »

Klaas,
It seemed to run better this time around. But if I try to run "mythtv-setup", I still get the message "Command 'mythtv-setup' not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install mythtv-backend". Am I missing a step in the guide "https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source" ? I have attached the logs from the "makes".
Mike
Attachments
log3.7z
(40.74 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
log4.txt
(145.79 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

With mythtv v31 the DVBv3 "get signal strength" calls failed. With the test version the DVBv5 "get signal strength" calls fail as well.
It is that kaffeine is reported to work well, otherwise I would have thought there was firmware missing in the card.
So I would like to check exactly what kaffeine is doing on your system.
Can you please provide a system call trace of kaffeine, up to the first seconds of showing video?
This can be created with the following command:

strace kaffeine > kaffeine-20201110-2108-strace.log 2>&1
This is the way to capture all interactions between the application, kaffeine in this case, and the device driver of the card.
This file will be about 10MB uncompressed so it might be more convenient to store it at e.g. pastebin.com or via wetransfer.com or gmail directly to my personal email address klaas dot de dot waal at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Klaas.
timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by timmy527 »

HI Mike:
Make sure the 'new' mythtv environmental variables are set correctly.
If you use the 'env' command , you should see the updated PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and other variable that Klaas specified to be set ( started with "INSTANCE" above.
The easiest way to set these variables is to save the text ( pasted below ) to a file and then source them.
So save to file ( example foo.txt ) and then 'source foo.txt' , then if you do the 'env' command all should be set.

#!/bin/bash
#
INSTANCE=mythtv-master
#
PATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$HOME/$INSTANCE/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages
#
MYTHCONFDIR=$HOME/.mythtv/
#
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH MYTHCONFDIR PYTHONPATH
#
# [The End]

Another way to explicitly call the 'new' mythtv-setup is to 'cd /home/mike/mythv-master/usr/bin' and then ' ./mythtv-setup ' the ./ before the name says "use the file in the directory I'm currently in". But really, the env variables will need to be set first.

Hope that helps.

Tim
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Hi Mike,

Your compilation and install logs look OK to me. The advice as given by Tim is completely correct so that should make it work.
The environment variable that is absolutely essential is the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and if the setup script fails on you then you can just give this command in the terminal window:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/mike/mythtv/usr/lib:$LIBRARY_PATH
before running mythv-setup.

The way I set it up keeps it completely separate from the installation that you get when installing from the distribution packages.The "build from source" Wiki more or less assumes that you do build from source instead of installing from packages, but I have both. And mixing them is definitely not a good idea.

Hope this helps,
Klaas.
timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by timmy527 »

Hi Klaas:

Ran Kaffeine with the strike output file on my Google drive : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZPGJt ... sp=sharing
Please let me know if you're unable to access this file.
Of note:
I tuned to 2 different channels in caffeine
The audio on my host is messed up ( ubuntu using motherboard audio out instead of HDMI, so I have to manually switch it... ) , ignore error messages

Thx
Tim
timmy527
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by timmy527 »

strace, not strike...