Mythtv - wrong screen

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Mythtv - wrong screen

Post by pinnerite » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm

I am running mythtv-frontend 31 on Mint 20.

My desktop system has two screens. I only watch TV or recordings on the left-hand screen.

Mint uses xfdrake to generate xorg.conf. It looks fine,

The screens are driven by separate video cards. I can drag everything (in a widow) from screen to screen if choose.

When I launch Mythtv its menu comes up on the left-hand screen.
But when I select an option, a "wait message" comes up first, then focus jumps to the right-hand screen.
"Why"?
I then press ESC, followed by making the selection again. This time it comes up on the left-hand screen, where I want it.
I cannot work out what controls this.

Any suggestions?

blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: Mythtv - wrong screen

Post by blm-ubunet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 am

I would suspect some tricky desktop manager feature that makes both screens one desktop. xorg xinerama extension?
When I last had 2 displays on mythv box (*buntu 14.04) was using nvidia & separate xscreens.
So much has changed since then & some of it has made things worse.
For e.g. It is very hard to get *buntu 18.04 mate desktop to behave well with video playback on nvidia hardware.

If you setup each display as separate xscreen you could try:
mythfrontend -display :0.1

Important to get the cursor mouse in the right display so events go to correct place...
To position mouse/cursor before mfe:
xwit -display :0.1 -root -warp 520 880

mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Mythtv - wrong screen

Post by mark_k » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:10 am

Have you tried setting the display 'setting'? (Setup->Appearance->Theme/Screen settings->Display on Screen)

If that doesn't help, please post the full output from 'mythfrontend -v playback --loglevel=debug' from startup to trying to play a video.

The screen code had a bit of an update/fix for version 0.31, so it should be working better - but I could not/cannot test a setup with multiple cards configured (just multiple displays from one card).

Regards
Mark