Replacement SiliconDust Duo not working

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Replacement SiliconDust Duo not working

Post by jimls »

I lost my tuner to an electrical storm and bought a new one. I can get to it's web page and stream TV via VLC. But for some reason I can't get the tuner to work in Myth. If I go to watch tv in the front end it just flashes and stays at the screen showing watch tv as one of the options.

I went in and resetup the tuners and still the same thing. Any suggestions?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Replacement SiliconDust Duo not working

Post by kmdewaal »

It can just be a configuration issue. With mythtv-setup first delete the capture card entries for the old tuner and then create new capture card entries for the new tuner. Then in the Input Connections page connect the new capture cards to the existing Video Source.
To check if it all works you can do a channel scan.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

It might be a firmware version issue with the replacement unit (depending on manufacture date it may have been shipped with older firmware, mythtv requires a fairly recent version due to tuner locking mechanism changes).

Goto the built-in webpage for the HDHomeRun Connect Duo and check the firmware version (System Status), current version should be Firmware Version 20200521

The above firmware version works with mythtv 31.

Mike
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

I am still running 27.6fixes if I remember correctly. First thing I went to the tuners web page and there was a notice that an update was available so I updated. Probably should take this as an opportunity to get up to date and then sort out any remaining issues.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

When you upgrade to v31, which is of course highly recommended, you will find the configuration of the HDHomeRun tuners to be different. See this page https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners on how it is done now.
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Thanks for the tip. I am setting up v31 now. Another issue I expect to come up is LIRC. I have an existing LIRC config file so would like to keep running it. But I thing there have been some changes over time that may trip me up. Anything I should know to make that go smoothly?

I ran into some overscan and apparently there isn't any really straightforward way to adjust that. I was able to adjust the picture size on the TV settings but it applies to all modes - TV and HDMI. Wasn't a huge adjustment so it may be fine.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Overscan is of course something from the analog TV days.... I've set my TV up for " 1:1 pixel mapping" so that every pixel in a Full HD signal corresponds to exactly one pixel on the screen of a Full HD TV.
I suggest to start a new topic if you run into problems with LIRC.
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

V31 seems to have a lot of complexity of install that others are struggling with so I am sure to have some. Thinking I should just get the tuner working with the old install. Not having a working system is causing low SAP in the household. :) I do have the latest software on the tuner. But for some reason it didn't work with 0.27.6 like the exact same model that died did. It works fine with VLC. Any suggestions? Is it possible the new tuner software changed/eliminated some of the older methods?
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Tuner has the same IP as before and myth finds it. It just doesn't work when trying live tv or recording.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Your new HDHomeRun device will have a new device ID that is different from the old one, even if the IP address is the same. The device ID is stored in database table capturecard field videodevice and this is used to identify the device.
You may have already done it and not mentioned it but somewhere in the process you have to do the following:
With mythtv-setup first delete the capture card entries for the old tuner and then create new capture card entries for the new tuner. Then in the Input Connections page connect the new capture cards to the existing Video Source.
To check if it all works you can do a channel scan.
It is always possible that there is a really complicated problem with software versions etc but please first make sure the configuration is correct.
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Thought I had done all that. The numbers reflected the new tuner numbers. But I must have missed a step or something. I went through the steps again and all is working. VERY BIG THANK YOU! I have the new system on another partition so can boot to it as I have time and try and get it going but this keeps things running for now.