[Solved] Database problem?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Johnius
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Johnius »

I used MythTV and set up a DVR years ago. My harddrive finally died and I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04LTS and MythTV today. I thought I had everything set up properly, but I keep getting database errors when I try to run Mythfilldatabase (automatically after running mythtv-setup). I used the install guide sudo apt install mythtv && plugins as directed on the Wiki. I don't know how to check if I have a database or where it's located or if it's on. My tuner card is pulling EIT channel information in the frontend, but I can't tune live TV or record anything. I assume this has to do with the database issue. I've had a heck of a time trying to copy/paste the error, because the window closes too fast, please forgive typos and incomplete information

Code: Select all

mythcorecontext::connectcommandsocket(): connecting to backend server 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 1)
 Mythsocket(7f25c004770:-1): failed to connect to (127.0.0.1:6543) Connection refused
 Connection to master server timed out. either the server is down or the master server settings in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper ip address
Last edited by Johnius on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Database problem?

Post by bill6502 »

To see if the SQL daemon is running: systemctl status mysql . Expect to see: Active: active (running)
in the output.

systemctl status mythtv-backend to see if the backend is running.

Usually, screen shots aren't required. /var/log/mythtv will have logs of interest. They can
be attached or use pastebin.com (etc.).

Log snippets are sometimes (OK, frequently) of limited value, because they 'hide' earlier
events.

This may be of help: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml#Troubleshooting
Johnius
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Johnius »

So I had to install mysql-server independently and have no idea how to set it up. It runs and has no database, but I have no clue what's going on. There's some reference to setting up a user in the wiki, but I don't know how to do that.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

The initial comment: "My harddrive finally died and I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04LTS and MythTV today."
suggests a clean install rather than an upgrade. I build from source and don't speak installing from the
ppa well. I know others have done clean installs and the DB server is included. Maybe you can tell
folks here what package was installed. E.g. sudo apt install mythtv?
Johnius
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Johnius »

sudo apt install mythtv
sudo apt install mythplugins
sudo apt install mysql-server

I even tried reinstalling mythtv and mythplugins after the mysql-server install.
Johnius
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Johnius »

File permission problems, for starters. Fixed some of the issue. Time for a full test.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

In my notes (here) from when I installed v30 on Ubuntu 18.04, I do not see a need to install mysql-server. Also, on Jim A's install notes (here) from installing v31 on Xubuntu 20.04, I do not see a need to install mysql-server.

If you want to start over, Mythbuntu Control Panel may be helpful.
Wiki: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu_Control_Panel
Instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdz-z00eioI
Ted | My blog
Johnius
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Johnius »

Thanks for the step by step guides, heyted. Thanks for the error log location, bill6502. Got it running and tested it last night. But I pulled a transistor off the motherboard accidentally and now it only comes on from a hard power interrupt. Oh well. It's on a lamp timer now!