OpenGL not available (Lubuntu 18.04 / mythtv 31)

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

johnsmithhh
Newcomer
United States of America

OpenGL not available (Lubuntu 18.04 / mythtv 31)

Post by johnsmithhh » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:05 am

Hello all!! I am able to log into mythtvfrontend on the laptop however I get a warning bubble stating "Warning OpenGL not available" when trying to view recordings or watch live TV. I am able to navigate and go through all the menus just fine, the issue is when I go to play a previously recorded video or watch live TV. Once I click on either of those options I get a black screen that says "please wait" and then a pop up bubble that says "Failed to Initialize Video Output" There also seems to be an issue with the audio player but I think once I get the opengl issue resolved I should be able to fix the sound I think all I need to do is install the sound driver. I have installed mythtv 31 fixes on a headless server running lubuntu18.04. I then installed mythtvfrontend on very old tashiba satellite p35-s611 laptop with radeon mobility 9100 IGP video running lubuntu18.04. I installed mythtv and mythtvfrontend by running sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31 Then installing mththtv on the backend and mythfrontend on the laptop. I fear there isn't a fix for me and I might have to go back to an earlier version. Just tying to hold on to this old lap top as long as possible =) I think the issue has something to do with opengl after reading the forum thread "OpenGL not available (ubuntu 20.04/ mythtv 31). I have attached outputs that were asked for in that thread. The jest of all the logs is that VDPAU is not available. While running all the suggestions with debug in the other thread here is a list of all the tries I ran. Each of the files in the zip is titled by the command I ran for that test.
1. MESA_DEBUG=1 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1 QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend -v gpu --loglevel=debug
2. MESA_DEBUG=1 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.0 QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend -v gpu --loglevel=debug
3. QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 MYTHTV_OPENGL_ES=1 mythfrontend -v gpu --loglevel=debug
4. QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 MYTHTV_OPENGL_CORE=1 mythfrontend -v gpu --loglevel=debug
5. QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 MYTHTV_OPENGL_CORE=1 MYTHTV_OPENGL_ES=1 mythfrontend -v gpu --loglevel=debug
6. QT_LOGGING_RULES=qt.qpa.gl=true mythfrontend
7. MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend

here is the output from glxinfo | version

glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
Max core profile version: 0.0
Max compat profile version: 1.3
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 0.0
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 19.2.8

I have been pulling my hair out this past week trying to get the video to play. I installed so many programs and tried so many different things. I finally re-installed lubuntu on Friday and that's when I came across the post about OpenGL on Ubuntu 20.04 and thought that might be my issue. I was very hopeful, but none of those suggestions worked. I would appreciate any help or guidance. If you need any additional info please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.
John
Attachments
mythtvlogs.zip
The logs from the 7 different commands I tried
(46.07 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by bill6502 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: un (dot)ed

mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Re: OpenGL not available (Lubuntu 18.04 / mythtv 31)

Post by mark_k » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:25 am

Unfortunately v31 will not work with that GPU.

When EGL is disabled, an OpenGL context is created without issue but it fails to create the GLSL shaders.

Looking at:-

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#f ... eondrivers

it looks as if GLSL is not supported for the R200 series of cards.

It also looks like multi-texturing (needed for video playback) is not available.

Regards
Mark

johnsmithhh
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by johnsmithhh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Mark, thanks so much for you response it is greatly appreciated. I was using mythtv version .25 or something in that range. I want to say I was using it with mythbuntu when it was still a distribution. I figured I had some free time between now and the fall when the new shows start and thought I would upgrade as there are many new kewl improvements.
So now a couple of questions whats the highest version of mythtv that you think I can run with that card? It will save me having to install each version front and back to figure it out =) The other question is what do you think happened along the way that made my gpu incompatable?
Thanks so much for your time and expertise
John

mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:07 am

.30 should be fine - you should get OpenGL but I suspect the best performance will be XVideo for video output (probably best to avoid OpenGL on that GPU).

v31 consolidated the rendering code around OpenGL - with GLSL a requirement - and XVideo support was dropped.

Hope this helps
Regards
Mark