mythtv-31.0 HD Homerun how to see both tuners?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

mythtv-31.0 HD Homerun how to see both tuners?

Post by penguinjeff »

In the past I could have the tuners come up separately and add them. I could not figure out how to do that with the current version of mythtv version 31.0.
I start mythtv-setup
I go to "Capture Cards"
I added the Capture Card
I selected the new capture card
I selected HD Homerun as the card type
then I had a hard time figuring out your GUI
I was able to click the right arrow and select my hdhomerun address but unlike the past I did not see two enties for my tuners. Only the one.
In the past I saw a 0 and 1 to select from depicting the two tuners.
Can someone help me figure this out?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: mythtv-31.0 HD Homerun how to see both tuners?

Post by kmdewaal »

Have a good look at the Channel Scanning Wiki, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning.
The intro paragraph https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... l_Scanning ends with a short description of which key to press in the GUI and at the end there is a paragraph especially for HDHomeRuns tuners, https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Run_tuners

Enjoy!
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

As I explained above I figured out that the arrows did what they do when noted with the greater then less than signs and the V and carrot like symbols. And as I explained in a previous version I was able to select from both tunners as separate cards as I understand that document to be saying. Has this changed in version 31 or does it no longer support both tuners of my HD Homerun?
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

Should I just add it twice?
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

Adding it twice did not allow me to record two shows at one time. Is there something I need to do to see both tuners like I did in the past?
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

You might have forgotten to connect your second tuner to the Video Source, as described here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... Connection
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

I created 2 inputs that I pointed to the same source. It did not give a second option for input even though I added the card twice. It seems it doesn't detect that there are 2 tuners in this version of mythtv. Maybe I can manually edit the database with phpmyadmin and correct something? Is there any documentation on how to get it to show the two tuners like it did before? Unfortunately I do not have the saved database from the old setup as it was destroyed during a failed upgrade. Like I had said I remember the older version of mythtv having two entries similar to what it has now but with a :0 and :1 at the end for the 2 different tuners. I really think this has something to do with it. I might want to edit the database and add the :0 and :1 and try it out?

In this version (31.0) when I open mythtv-setup and go to "2. Capture Cards" and go to "(New Capture Card)" then I scroll down to "New Capture Card" and click enter the I select "HDHomeRun Networked Tuner" and press enter then I can select the right arrow and am presented with only one card to choose from "Use HDHomeRun 10417518 (hdhomerun4_atsc 192.168.1.249)" In the past I would see two options something like "HDHomeRun 10417518:0 (hdhomerun4_atsc 192.168.1.249)" and "HDHomeRun 10417518:1 (hdhomerun4_atsc 192.168.1.249)" I seem to recall I'm not certain where the :0 and :1 use to be in the string but it was in there it might have been at the end of the ip but I really think it was at the end of the descriptor number like I just posted.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Can you do these on your backend please:
  • curl --output /tmp/gccl.xml localhost:6544/Capture/GetCaptureCardList
  • xmllint --format /tmp/gccl.xml
Put the output at pastebin.com if you can't paste it here and put the link to it here.

You may need to install a package to get xmllint (in *buntu: sudo apt install libxml2-utils.)
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

[57a0ad8] has details of the v30 change to HDHR configuration.
The ":0 and :1" were -0 and -1 in earlier releases. They're no longer used.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

In this version (31.0) when I open mythtv-setup and go to "2. Capture Cards" and go to "(New Capture Card)" then I scroll down to "New Capture Card" and click enter the I select "HDHomeRun Networked Tuner" and press enter then I can select the right arrow and am presented with only one card to choose from "Use HDHomeRun 10417518 (hdhomerun4_atsc 192.168.1.249)"
Yes, and for the second tuner (capture card) you need to select the same HDHomeRun device again.
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

It looks to have fixed it by editing the database for now. I'll know for sure when it records two shows I have scheduled.

I'll certainly run those commands but I just wanted to try out my idea of adding the :0 and :1 to the database in the mean time.

So editing the database was pretty easy using phpmyadmin I edited the capture card table and changed one videodevice from 10417518 to 10417518:0 and the other to 10417518:1 then I restarted the mythtv-setup and I couldn't clear the input settings so I went back in to phpmyadmin and dropped the database. I imported a fresh copy. I restarted mythtv-setup and entered the two cards and exited setup then reedited with the 10417518:0 and 10417518:1 again and then I was able to complete the mythtv-setup how I wanted and am trying out recording 2 shows at once using mythweb now. Mythweb now shows 2 tuners were as before editing the database it only showed one.

Now mythfrontend does not seem to be able to watch live tv although that wouldn't matter to me as I use it for mythweb and to record shows.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

I assume you changed videodevice. I have two HDHR boxes and the value (for you case)
would be: 10417518. Both work fine. Direct editing of the DB is frowned upon, and in most
cases, not required.
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

It did start recording two streams as I can start watching both what I selected in mythweb. I opened the file locations and was able to start playing each with vlc. I will look at it again later and keep all updated. Odd that :0 and :1 worked for mythweb if it was -0 and -1 before. Anyways I will blow up the database and try without then I will give the outputs of

curl --output /tmp/gccl.xml localhost:6544/Capture/GetCaptureCardList
xmllint --format /tmp/gccl.xml

unless my altered mess would be of any use?

Like I said the current behavior allows me to record two broadcasts at once and that is really all I use mythtv for.

I'll also try -0 and -1 if that is what older versions did maybe it just needed any non number character to be able to treat it as 2 tuners?
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

I blew it away and started fresh again this time without manually editing the database.

I have no idea why it wasn't working before. I have it working now completely with just adding two cards both with 10417518
and having two inputs setup with one source.

Maybe it didn't save something correctly before. I don't know. It was nice to know that it only lists one device and that I have to select it twice like I was doing. I don't know why it wasn't working before. Maybe once a mistake is made you can not fix it properly in the gui. I was seeing one tuner listed as 1 and the other listed as 3 before maybe that had something to do with it.
penguinjeff
Junior
United States of America

Post by penguinjeff »

take that back mythfrontend still does not work although I do not need it with mythweb working.
In mythfrontend I can not select "Watch TV" it complains "There are no configured tuners."
I tried deleting ~/.mythtv and it still does the same thing.
Last edited by penguinjeff on Thu May 21, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.