Problems with channels because of "repack"

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Problems with channels because of "repack"

Post by yawlhoo »

I live in the SF Bay area. From my home in the East bay I can see Sutro tower, from which many of the local stations broadcast. Hence with very modest equipment I can pick up and record excellent HD TV.

A few days ago I sat down to watch the recorded news and was surprised to find that the scheduled shows had not recorded due to some kind of problem with reception.

After much confusion I (think) I found that the problem was due to stations which had undergone a "repack," essentially shifts to a station's frequency allocations because of FCC spectrum auctions. Probably every Tom, Dick and Harriet had heard about this, but not me.

My solution to this, after much further confusion, was to fire up mythtv-setup on the backend, delete all channels and rescan, followed by a complete rebuild of the schedules by running mythfilldatabase. After this, the channels seem to be back and working.

An antennaweb.org document stated that for the channels having a repack, the process should have completed by 5-1-2020, so this means things should be OK for at least for the near future.

I thought I would post this as information for anyone in this area who might be experiencing this same problem.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Problems with channels because of "repack"

Post by kmdewaal »

Deleting all channels and doing a "Full Scan" again does usually work OK and it is great that you have it all working now.

If you use the latest version of mythtv, v31 or master, it might also work if you do a "Full Scan" without first deleting the channels. In that case the channels are updated and then the schedule information is retained. But I am not sure if this really works as the repacks do not happen that often.