mythtranscode fifo for HD encodes on Mythtv 31 and kubuntu 20.04 not working

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

halucigenia
Senior
Great Britain

mythtranscode fifo for HD encodes on Mythtv 31 and kubuntu 20.04 not working

Post by halucigenia »

After upgrading to Mythtv 31 and kubuntu 20.04 I have found an issue with mythtranscode using fifo (--fifodir) to output to and use ffmpeg to do the transcode.

I capture the results of --fifoinfo and pass -s 1920x1088 to ffmpeg when mythtranscode identified the recording as having dimensions of 1920x1088.
--fifoinfo no longer recognises files as 1920x1088 but I still have to pass -s 1920x1088 to ffmpeg when encoding to get a usable transcode.

I can, of course, alter my script to account for this but was wondering if this is a known issue or bug in mythtranscode version: fixes/31 [v31.0+fixes.202004272041.723d46e~ubuntu20.04.1] which I currently have installed?
dnalorernst
Developer
Austria

Re: mythtranscode fifo for HD encodes on Mythtv 31 and kubuntu 20.04 not working

Post by dnalorernst »

It is known already by the devs.
Look at the answer: https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/dev/628423
halucigenia
Senior
Great Britain

Re: mythtranscode fifo for HD encodes on Mythtv 31 and kubuntu 20.04 not working

Post by halucigenia »

Thanks dnalorernst,

It's good to know that it has been reported already.

Just one thing - in that link Mark stated "was looking at just adding full FFmpeg functionality to transcode directly."

Is this still in the pipeline or something that is available now?
mark_k
Developer
Great Britain

Post by mark_k »

halucigenia wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:27 pm
Thanks dnalorernst,

It's good to know that it has been reported already.

Just one thing - in that link Mark stated "was looking at just adding full FFmpeg functionality to transcode directly."

Is this still in the pipeline or something that is available now?
From my perspective, it is on a very long TODO list - but unfortunately I don't really use mythtranscode, so it isn't high priority.

That said, I've just had a look at the source again and I think, to my surprise, that the bulk of full FFmpeg support is already there - but it just wasn't finished. I'm guessing that for someone with a little time and knowledge, it would be relatively straightforward to clean up/finish off - though it really needs a cleanout first - I doubt there is any demand left mpeg2, mpeg4, nuppelvideo etc anymore:)

Regards
Mark