Autoexpire fails to find file, expanding log file

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

coldcase
Junior
United States of America

Autoexpire fails to find file, expanding log file

Post by coldcase »

I found that I'm getting very large mythbackend log files that eat up disk storage. It seems like autoexpire is trying to delete several shows and then fails because it can't find the files. Then repeats over and over.

I have 2015 vintage Macports Myth on a MacOS server (10.9.5). Not sure of the version off hand. The recording storage directory was on a drive that failed months ago and was switched to another drive. I suspect the log file started to fill up about the time those shows were set to auto expire, there were hundreds of them.

I've spent a day looking through the forum posts and support documentation and have come up empty. How do I fix the data base (hopefully easily) to stop trying to expire these shows that are now gone? When I follow the menu path advanced > system status > auto expire list, I see the shows. I tried undeleting a few and then deleting them from the Watch Recording screen, but that doesn't seem to remove them from the database and they continue to auto expire. I haven't found a way to disable autoexpire, except in the rules for new recordings.

Myth seems to be chugging along without issue except for the expanding mythbackend log file. As a bandaid, I've been stopping the backend, deleting the log files, and restarting the backend... but perhaps I should just try to fix it. Unfortunately, I'm far from a programmer, knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Thanks
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Autoexpire fails to find file, expanding log file

Post by bill6502 »

coldcase
Junior
United States of America

Post by coldcase »

Thanks, I'm getting syntax or can't find Myth** type errors. I'll have to look closer tomorrow. I think I tried the script years ago, or something like it, for another issue and it didn't work out for me.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Have a look at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3552
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
coldcase
Junior
United States of America

Post by coldcase »

Thanks, I need to brush up on my search skills.

I didn't see this tip, perhaps useful I dunno, but I could have missed it: If you have a bunch of shows to delete, the / key trick can be used to select/checkmark multiples (in this case, select a show and then hold down the backslash key to scroll through the list checking the shows off). Then M, then PlayList Options (all the checked shows are now in a playlist), then delete from that menu.